The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'm just finished the shrimp-o-drome (tomorrow i will post something)...
I'm also planning to make a tank with only crystal red and bee (i know that it is possible to mix them and i dont have hybrids)...The tank will be greater than the ones of the shrimp-o-drome
Well, these are my ideas:

-tank: 60cmx30cmx28 cm ( 28 cm:height of the water)=approx 10 gallon
-light: 36W PL
-filtration: eden 501
-substrate: ada soil amazonia
-tech: co2 plant
-plants: many moss, other plants and some ketapang leaves

Do you think it will work fine?I think that in that volume i can put many shrimps (how many?)....I will start maybe from 10 red crystal and 10 bee....

what do you think??
bye!!!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Thats pretty much the exact same thing I have in the works a few differences though...

Substrate: Florabase- virtually same thing as ADA AS but local shop had it and traded credits for a bag!

Light is a standard strip light 18W I think

Will probably just dose Excel since I don't have pressurized CO2

Plants - Pretty much the same I'm probably going to do some vallis in one corner as well and then fissidens and nano moss probably.

You're going to want to remember to fertilize that tank with that much light in it!

The shrimp ammount is fine, I've read that people keep around 100 in a 10g easily with weekly 20-30% Waterchanges.

Have some fun, and lets see some shrimp- 0 -dome PICTURES!!

-Andrew

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats pretty much the exact same thing I have in the works a few differences though...
great!!!!yes, i know that they are quite similar, except for the light...

You're going to want to remember to fertilize that tank with that much light in it!
well, 36W in 50 liter is approx 0.7/0.8 W/l....this is a tipical value for most of plants...I think i will try to put some plants like hemiantus callitricoides, pogostemon helfery, due to tha supplyu of co2...
For the fertilization, what i have to do?crystal red are sensitive to them...:(

The shrimp ammount is fine, I've read that people keep around 100 in a 10g easily with weekly 20-30% Waterchanges.
ok, and if you see that i will use a canister filter, it will be much more easier to have stable condition of water!

Have some fun, and lets see some shrimp- 0 -dome PICTURES!!
i do it now!!!

ciao

·
Banned
418 Posts
I have the exact same setup down to the size, light, and soil.

Since I breed Angel's I just took one of my dual elite setups that has already been cycled for months and put it in the tank a few weeks ahead of time. I also took a 2nd small cycled spong and put that in the tank the night before I introduced the shrimp. The only thing I have read that is crucial is NO AMONIA EVER and water quality. I use treated aged RO water for changes, and I do them the same why as a fry tank, with a cut air hose so I can get the poop from the bottom. I put in a small piece of wood and I noticed they really like to clean that thing daily so there is a ton of poop that gets left on that wood. I read that adding ferts sometime cause a swing in water parameters that can lead to deaths over time so I have it planted with low light plants and just moss so I won't have to doss ferts in the tank ever.

May be safe, but why take the risk if you don't have to!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 501 filter is really small though. You may want to consider something bigger. On a 10 gallon CRS tank of mine I have a jebo 828 filter along with a hagen sponge filter.
really?ok, maybe i can buy a bigger one...
what do you think about plants and lights?DO you think 36W is enough to grow moss but also other plants?Remember the fact that i cannot use ferts (it's right, no?)
ciao

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the exact same setup down to the size, light, and soil.
"down to" means that you have the same or you have a similar setup except ftom size, light and soil??:icon_roll

The only thing I have read that is crucial is NO AMONIA EVER and water quality.
so i can use ferts (very low dosages?)The most important thing is the quality of water, if you dose ferts in the right way maybe it can be safe...

I read that adding ferts sometime cause a swing in water parameters that can lead to deaths over time so I have it planted with low light plants and just moss so I won't have to doss ferts in the tank ever.
maybe if you overdose...Most of "shrimpscians" are not good in "plant keeping" so they dont know how to grow plants, so maybe they overdose ferts...

May be safe, but why take the risk if you don't have to
uhm, i dont understand:)))

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I personally wouldn't put that much light over the tank, But that's just me you will probably be fine. If your trying to breed CRS or just keep them happy... Don't use any ferts. what LGHT is trying to tell you is that he doesn't dose ferts because he uses water from his fry tanks and other tanks that has some good stuff in the water already. I would personally still use the CO2 and even probably the light, and stick easy to grow plants in. See what works without Ferts that way you don't need to worry about deaths fert related. All in all it's your choice, but why take chances when it's just as easy if not easier without those chances?

-Andrew

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I personally wouldn't put that much light over the tank, But that's just me you will probably be fine.
Actually in my 25 liters for cherry i have a 24W....

If your trying to breed CRS or just keep them happy... Don't use any ferts.
ok

what LGHT is trying to tell you is that he doesn't dose ferts because he uses water from his fry tanks and other tanks that has some good stuff in the water already.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh now i understand!!!!:))) clear!!!
All in all it's your choice, but why take chances when it's just as easy if not easier without those chances?
ok, i'm convinced...sorry for the fact that i didnt undestand your words but in some cases is difficoult for me to understand some "phrase constructions" :smile:

So, the new project is now starting!

·
Banned
418 Posts
Amen thanks for that reply. Yep your all set. I don't use ferts because low light and plants don't really need them. You can probably dose in small amounts, but moss will be fine without it so I don't bother in my tank. As far as the light I don't run it all day and night. Usually about 6-7 hours at most. Not sure if they like the dark more, but they are always busy day and night.

·
Registered
695 Posts
yay! most of my questions are answered :) I just moved my betta from his 10 gallon to a 2.5 gallon nano Now i have an empty tank for shrimp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts