The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to the RCS game. I have a planted 33 long with fish, but I want a smaller tank dedicated for RCS. I know they don't need as much space as fish do, but I'm not entirely sure what would the best size be to go with. Currently with my budget, my best guess for my own personal up would be a 20 long. I wouldn't mind a 30 breeder or 40 breeder though either.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bigger the tank the easier it should be to make them happy (water Parameters take longer to change). All of the tanks you mentioned are large enough for a very large colony. I have about 300 in a ten gallon right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
A 20 long is a good tank size because they are fun to aquascape. Much bigger and it will be hard to cull shrimp that are not great looking. If you plan not to cull then any tank is fine. That said, bigger tank can also mean more maintence if things get out of hand /shrug. They don't have specific tank size recommendations like fish because their bioload and requirements is so minimal that almost anything will provide everything they need.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My wife has a 55 gallon that we have red neos in, gorgeous shrimp. However, last spring they threw a wild form and I could not catch it. I've spent the rest of the time hunting down and fishing out the oddball wild form shrimp since then. It's like a shrimp version of "wheres Waldo" lol. I swear those brown ones are twice as hard to sneak up on. The red ones will just crawl into the net...

But I digress... larger is great for stable water parameters, and more room to get creative with scaping. Smaller like, 10 gallons, might be more manageble if you are breeding for a specific color or variation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.