The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a list of commonly available plants that won't get much bigger than 12" I'm not afraid to prune but just want the tank to be as low maintenance as possible. Already planning on frog bit, dwarf chain sword, and hair grass. My tank has a little over an inch and a half of black flourite sand an AC20 for filtration and have yet to purchase lighting or a heater yet.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Looking for a list of commonly available plants that won't get much bigger than 12" I'm not afraid to prune but just want the tank to be as low maintenance as possible. Already planning on frog bit, dwarf chain sword, and hair grass. My tank has a little over an inch and a half of black flourite sand an AC20 for filtration and have yet to purchase lighting or a heater yet.
Hi Colorblizzle,

Obviously you will need lighting. Along with various stem plants I like Microsorum pteropus species (java ferns), cryptocorynes, Staurogyne repens, and Helanthium tenellum.

10 gallon; no CO2; 2X10 watt 'mini' CFL; Seachem Comprehensive & Excel

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
I will keep those plants in mind. The CFL bulb fixture u said is that the spiral type? Cuz I'm looking at a single t8 tube with 15w
Hi Colorbizzle,

Yes, those I linked to are 'screw-in' CFL type bulbs. A single 15 watt T8 will provide less light; a single T5HO 18 watt would be better.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The species I have listed after doing some research are as follows;

Echinodermata portoalegrensis, ludwigia repens, eleocharis parvula, cruptocoryne undulata, limnobium laevigatum, exhinodorus tenellus, ceratopteris thalictroides

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Do a little research on PAR for lighting planted tanks. Aim for about 30 par and check out hoppy's article in the lighting stickies.

For foreground try dwarf sag. You probably wont have success with dwarf hairgrass in a low tech tank. Then you have rotala rotundofolia, crypt wendtii, ludwigia repens, stargrass..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn't real big on the hair grass it was just an option I really want the dwarf chain swords tho. And as far as PAR goes I read that sticky already and have googled it matter of fact I spent the better part of last night looking into it and I've only learned 2 things 1) bulbs do not list the PAR on their packaging and 2) I still don't understand PAR. I know lumens watts intensity the color scale about how light penetrates water differently hung above a tank vs. right in the glass but I can't grasp this PAR concept. If I bought a light I will probably never know of its 30 or above or below

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.