The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just spitballing here, but I've read that the lights need to be on for at least 8 hours for planted aquariums. I've got it so my lights go on at 12pm when I'm at work, and turn off at 8PM. I'd like to breed fish that are near the equator or so, so I'm wondering if I can mimic what my saltwater tank does, and have the lights running for 14 hours. I've got a veritable army of algae eating organisms (otocinclus, amano shrimp) and I'm trying to get my hands on some nice floating plants like Azolla for further nutrient export and light reduction. The tank's also going to be somewhat of a blackwater tank as well.

Aside from algae, which I assume is the biggest issue, and lights burning out (nonissue since I have LEDs), is there anything I need to take into account if I up the lighting schedule to a 14:10 time?

Previously I've had good growth with 12 hours on, 12 hours off, but will an extra 2 hours of light screw anything up overly much?

Also, I'm not EI dosing or anything. All of the plants' nutrients is coming from feeding the fish (way too much), doing weekly water changes, and a few root tabs every once in a while (like, 3 for a 20L right where all the plants' roots are).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It really depends on the type of light, what kinds of plants, and how many plants you have. You're also going to need to fertilize. Fish food and waste will provide N and P, but not K, Fe, or any other micros. Lastly, if you have a high powered light running 12 hours a day over a tank full of fast growing stems, they'll consume way, way more N and P than you could possibly add through fish.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I was just thinking about it, and the closer you get to the tropics, the closer to 12 hours your days are year round. If you’re looking for 14 hour days, you’re actually more temperate in the summertime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.