The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 45g (36 1/4" x 12 5/8" x 23 3/4") I bought on sale a couple of years ago. It's a pain in the ass to aquascape because it's so tall and narrow. I thought maybe building a waterfall on one end and filling the tank about half full would look cool. I was originally planning on using an Oase Biomaster 300 canister filter that is currently running on another tank, but I've decided to leave that there, so filtration is an open question too. Anyone have any ideas on waterfall construction other than piling up rocks? I can certainly do that. I've seen nano aquariums use corrugated plastic to build height and chambers for filtration and pumps. It doesn't look easy to clean & maintain those for any length of time. Ideally I'd love to have two levels with small (tiny probably) pools a few terrestrial plants and a UNS Atomizer I just bought for that misty/foggy look.

Anything that I should be aware of or help would be greatly appreciated. Fish will be c. habrosus and CPDs. Plants not quite sure, but as much moss as I can put around the falls and enough plant coverage to keep the CPDs healthy, but mostly it should look like a river bottom. There isn't a lot of space for wood, which has always been an issue in scaping this PITA aquarium.

Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just a heads up, while the mister/foggers look cool, they may leave enough condensation on the front glass that it makes it hard to view the terrestrial portions of the tank/pallidarium. 40 might be big enough it wwon't affect the front?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a heads up, while the mister/foggers look cool, they may leave enough condensation on the front glass that it makes it hard to view the terrestrial portions of the tank/pallidarium. 40 might be big enough it wwon't affect the front?
Something to consider for sure. If it's too much of a bother, or just a novelty, I'll pull it out. I just got that yesterday and haven't even pulled it out of the box yet.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Something to consider for sure. If it's too much of a bother, or just a novelty, I'll pull it out. I just got that yesterday and haven't even pulled it out of the box yet.
I used one in my chamelion set up a long time ago. Pretty cool device, and I'm sure they are more adjustable than they were back then.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Canister filters aren't generally a good idea to use on a half-full tank. They depend on a gravity siphon to fill so it's very easy for them to lose prime and run dry when used for a paludarium like this. Your best bet will be to use a powerhead attached to outlets that will feed the waterfalls. Check out paludarium builds online to get some ideas of how you might want to do this. Serpa Design is a good place to start.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I
Canister filters aren't generally a good idea to use on a half-full tank. They depend on a gravity siphon to fill so it's very easy for them to lose prime and run dry when used for a paludarium like this. Your best bet will be to use a powerhead attached to outlets that will feed the waterfalls. Check out paludarium builds online to get some ideas of how you might want to do this. Serpa Design is a good place to start.
I've seen a lot of Serpa Design YouTube videos. I guess should look for one of those power heads and some tubing online.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I

I've seen a lot of Serpa Design YouTube videos. I guess should look for one of those power heads and some tubing online.
If you can find a pump/powerhead that has a foam pre-filter, or that you can rig one to, that would be good. Not only will it help keep the pump running at full capacity longer, if you can get to it easily, the sponge is a good mechanical filter.

Best of luck with this!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can find a pump/powerhead that has a foam pre-filter, or that you can rig one to, that would be good. Not only will it help keep the pump running at full capacity longer, if you can get to it easily, the sponge is a good mechanical filter.

Best of luck with this!
Thanks for all the help working through this issue. It does help get an idea of where I have think. What are your thoughts on a pump/powerhead for operating the falls and a separate small sponge filter for filtration on the other end of the tank? It's still probably a good idea to put sponge before the pump.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The ideal situation would be to rig up a Hamburg Mattenfilter mattenfilter , corner filter cornerfilter-shop, or sponge filter cubefilter-shop using a powerhead as your actual filtration. The links are provided as examples only; these things are easy to DIY. Since waterfalls don't provide much in the way of flow, having a separate water movement option is essential.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I've decided to set this up similar to an all-in-one tank. I've ordered corrugated plastic sheets to construct chambers and levels like many of the YouTube videos I've seen doing similar projects. I ordered a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 submersible pump. I'll grab some black silicone, black expanding landscape foam and paint/tint locally to complete the construction. I'll have to take measurements and draw out a plan for construction and placement of rocks, plants and water flow. I'll do that this weekend. I have time off work during the beginning of the July and hope to have this mostly done during this time.

I'll need to figure out where and what size tubing to get once I get the pump...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'll grab some black silicone, black expanding landscape foam and paint/tint locally to complete
I'm a big fan of Rust-O-Leum in the can, NOT SPRAY, for painting foam to go in the tank. I've done this in a number of systems with no issue. Make sure to not use spray paint as the propellent and/or thinner in it melts foam. It's also really good stuff for painting glass if you need to do so.

Regards,
Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.