The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi after ignoring my empty 60H for more than a year, I finally make the effort to think of redoing it. Here is the idea:

Gonna keep my old driftwood from the last aquascape
New substrate choice (Safe T Sorb capped with Black blasting sand plus root tabs)
Paintball c02 with inline atomizer
ADA Aquasky 602 LED Light (Double) <-- nice found in my last japan trip. It was half off!

Plant wish list:
Alternanthera reineckii ‘Mini’
Eleocharis acicularis ‘Mini’
Rotala ‘Bonsai’
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Limnophila hippuridoides
Staurogyne repens
Pogostemon erectus

Old tank:

New layout idea (don't mind the 1 min crappy photoshop job):

What do you think? Any opinion is welcome!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Those are some nice driftwood pieces.

I'm no good at aquascaping, so don't take my opinion very highly, but I think the back left would look a bit too bare. I'm thinking maybe some tall reaching plant in the back left corner would add a touch so it doesn't look like something is missing. Or maybe put some Anubias nana petite on top of the driftwood at the top left, or more preferably varying color Bucephalandra. Maybe the front left could use just a smidge of red/purple-leaved plant just so it the whole scape blends in as one, rather than looking like it should be two separate scapes entirely. Again, I'm not a aquascaper in the slightest.

How it looks in the photoshop pic now looks really nice the way it is. You could always grow it like that then make some changes after you see how you like it in person.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Dang I like the old aquascape even more than the new but I know how tempting it can be to re-scape! I change my tank around every few months..

You have great success with the Ludwigia SP red, I can't get mine to pop off that dark dark red. Is that carpet plant marsilea minuta?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Love it! Please post pictures of your progress.
Thanks! sure I will keep updating the progress.

Those are some nice driftwood pieces.

I'm no good at aquascaping, so don't take my opinion very highly, but I think the back left would look a bit too bare. I'm thinking maybe some tall reaching plant in the back left corner would add a touch so it doesn't look like something is missing. Or maybe put some Anubias nana petite on top of the driftwood at the top left, or more preferably varying color Bucephalandra. Maybe the front left could use just a smidge of red/purple-leaved plant just so it the whole scape blends in as one, rather than looking like it should be two separate scapes entirely. Again, I'm not a aquascaper in the slightest.

How it looks in the photoshop pic now looks really nice the way it is. You could always grow it like that then make some changes after you see how you like it in person.
I love the driftwood too, that why I am using it again. :laugh2:

Thanks! The reason I don't have tall plant in the left back corner is because that the driftwood is blocking that area from the top.
Nice idea about adding some Bucephalandra on the wood, since I do have 2 kinds of Buces in my shrimp tank that I can use.
Let me also think about adding a little color by the rock, it might be interesting.

Dang I like the old aquascape even more than the new but I know how tempting it can be to re-scape! I change my tank around every few months..
The old aquascape went out of control when I left home for a month long vacation. :crying: So I had to take it down.

You have great success with the Ludwigia SP red, I can't get mine to pop off that dark dark red. Is that carpet plant marsilea minuta?
Thanks! With Diana Walstad's El Natural method I think you can grow most plants beautifully. Plus I was adding DIY c02 too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another weekly update.

Removed Eleocharis acicularis ‘Mini’ and Heteranthera zosterifolia. I don't think they look good in the tank.

Added Some Buces on the wood, Echinodorus red flame and tiger lotus blubs by the back of the left corner, and Anubias nana and Anubias nana petite by the bottom of the wood.

Buces started dropping leaves. half of Botala Bonsai & AR mini are melting. I hope they will grow new leaves in the coming week.

Also added 5 crown killifishes and 2 CRS culls. The CRS died in 3 days, but the little killifishes are doing fine!

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The whole tank is taken over by green algae & green hair algae 😣. Reduced light period to 5 hr a day, removed the algae wherever i could, and did a 80% water change. Added a bag of purigen in the filter. All of the rotala has melted...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On Wednesday I added some live stock to combat algae:
2 Amano Shrimps, 4 Ghost Shrimps, 2 Chinese algae eaters, 4-6 CRS/CBS culls.

Did the one-two punch on Sunday night. Next day i found much less green water and no dead shrimp/fish :D

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Tanks always look so promising right when they set up... and then it all hits!!!! :surprise:

Haha but that is a huge part of the fun :grin2:

I love the scape idea and cant wait to see it grow in.

Something I notice is that I get HUGE plant growth at the setup of the tank, and once that initial algae bloom hits... my growth slows down to a crawl.

Did you notice anything similar? Curiosity has me by the ba**s

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After one two punched the algae are mostly gone but the bacteria bloom remained. Decided to Buy a 9w UV filter to address the problem. Ran it for 10 hours and now the water is crystal clear! Gonna see how long it can stay that clear.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.