The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new tank but don't have a clear idea in mind. I was planning on a riverine type of enviroment. The substrate is going to be gravel and rock so I don't want rooted plants. I was also thinking I wanted to try to get the look of plants growing right at the shore and spilling over. I have seen people glue plants to suction cups to stick to the back andwill utilize that strategy. Does anyone have a good idea or example to help me along? Or just good plant ideas.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
One of the thing I have seen done is plants put in shower caddy type things with gravel and then hung on the glass. Also diy background made from insulation foam with planters embedded.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm setting up a new tank but don't have a clear idea in mind. I was planning on a riverine type of enviroment. The substrate is going to be gravel and rock so I don't want rooted plants. I was also thinking I wanted to try to get the look of plants growing right at the shore and spilling over. I have seen people glue plants to suction cups to stick to the back andwill utilize that strategy. Does anyone have a good idea or example to help me along? Or just good plant ideas.
To make it almost instant and easy, you could use a very large (Long length vines) pothos in a pot above the tank and hang those vines over and into the tank, weaving them across the bottom. I am thinking of do this. I've heard Pothos can last a long time underwater this way.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Does pothos require supplemental lighting indoors?
The natural light from windows, or any well lit room during the day is fine. They don't need too much. You could put a desk lamp on it for a few hours each day if it doesn't like the light. Get the dark green pothos, instead of the variegated variety if you have the choice. It will need less light if that is what you are worried about.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mainly just don't want to have a dedicated lamp for it. Its easy to try though since pothos is cheap. I don't want to take up a lot of room with a full 3d background but I think I will make one that takes up the top 5 inches or so. That will give me a spot to put plants and be able to carve out some intersting depth. What would you guys use for that? Corkbark maybe?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I mainly just don't want to have a dedicated lamp for it. Its easy to try though since pothos is cheap. I don't want to take up a lot of room with a full 3d background but I think I will make one that takes up the top 5 inches or so. That will give me a spot to put plants and be able to carve out some intersting depth. What would you guys use for that? Corkbark maybe?
Like my pothos idea, I haven't tried this but was inspired by PlantedRich's planting in a log. Why not pile in some wood and tuck some coir into crevices as planting cups? I can see it looking like a fallen trees forest on three sides, with greenery jutting out of the tangle of fallen wood.
Obvious issues would be cleaning, that much wood in a tank will tannin the water strongly, and wood does grow bacteria and deteriorate. You would need to have shrimp and otos as a cleaning crew for all of that wood. Hollow wood would be necessary for the big pieces so you don't displace too much water.
Fake wood like the stuff used in turtle tanks could be used. Placing it at different angles up the walls of the tank could be interesting. But that could be expensive. But I do like the look in my mind.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I may try the coir as a planting media. Does it leach tannins? How long does it last in the water?
No tannins. The mat type that I buy gets fluffy after a while because I move it around. Holding it to a shape indefinitely will require some elastic netting. I don't know how long it will last in the tanks. I've only used for about a year off and on. It doesn't seem to breakdown, as much as break apart. I've looked at Joann Fabrics online and found elastic netting by the yard in different colors that would be necessary to hold it in shape. There may be small pots already made from coir that you can buy online. I've only played with the mats. If you use it, make sure to soak and rinse and few times over a day or two to get the salts out. Handle gently.

I may try the coir as a planting media. Does it leach tannins? How long does it last in the water?
I can tell you I put some outside in the garden last summer and it lasted through snows, walking on, etc. Be aware of the 'blocks' of coir you can also buy are ground up coir and will make a bloody mess of your tank. The type I use is the long strands of husk and bark pressed flat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.