The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had it for like 5 years now haha. I bought it from some mom and pop fish store (kinda) and it was in a tank that was unbelievably over stocked. I bought it as a banjo catfish. It hasn't grown any in five years, buries itself under the substrate sometimes, and is extremely nocturnal (I never see it) You can pick it up and it won't move, when you let go of it, it just drifts to the bottom without too much movement.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I have a couple of those. I've had one for about 5 years also. I just bought the other because it was available, and I read that they like to hang out together. I haven't noticed this being the case. I haven't even seen them for the past 3 or 4 days. They're there somewhere though. Weird fish.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a couple of those. I've had one for about 5 years also. I just bought the other because it was available, and I read that they like to hang out together. I haven't noticed this being the case. I haven't even seen them for the past 3 or 4 days. They're there somewhere though. Weird fish.
Yeah, this guys goes months in between sightings.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Those are banjo cats. very cool fish. We have some in our exodon paradoxis tank. They are nocturnal and will eat small tetras so be careful. One of my favorite fish. They are very still and often look like a stick or something on the ground of the tank. Slow growers, I think they get about 4-5 inches? Can't remember if that is for certain species or not.

A lot of catfish are nocturnal. We got a lot of different cat fish species, kind of the fish favorite.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are banjo cats. very cool fish. We have some in our exodon paradoxis tank. They are nocturnal and will eat small tetras so be careful. One of my favorite fish. They are very still and often look like a stick or something on the ground of the tank.
a cherry shrimp would barely be able to fit in this guys mouth, but some good info for sure! I don't think that I have ever seen this guy actively swimming ever.
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ah yea our's is about 4 inches right now, so i guess it depends on size. You wouldn't believe what catfish can fit in there mouth though lol. I remember our redtail ate a turtle. Yes a turtle. He was about 6-7 inches at the time. It looked as if he swallowed a golf ball. He could not rest on his belly with out teeter-tottering. Funniest thing I have ever seen. He is now 18 inches and doesn't get out of the way of anybody.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah yea our's is about 4 inches right now, so i guess it depends on size. You wouldn't believe what catfish can fit in there mouth though lol. I remember our redtail ate a turtle. Yes a turtle. He was about 6-7 inches at the time. It looked as if he swallowed a golf ball. He could not rest on his belly with out teeter-tottering. Funniest thing I have ever seen. He is now 18 inches and doesn't get out of the way of anybody.
Dang, you have a RTC! One of the most beautiful catfish I have ever seen. What do you keep him in, a swimming pool?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well we have had many. We donated one to a guy with a 4,000 gallon aquarium. My dad helped build it. It is huge now. Like extremely huge now. But the current one we have we grew from a baby about 2 inches along. We have him in a custom built 200 gallon. Its 8ft long instead of the 7 ft. We have it with a 17 inch golden dorado (the meanest, most badass fish I have ever seen) and about a 20 inch pacu. Although we do have a smaller RTC in a standard 7ft 200 gallon. He is only about 10 inches though. I would have to say the tiger shovelnose cats are pretty damn cool to. Here is a pic of our old one. He died a while ago has since been fed to the school of cariba/red belly piranha.

More of a hunter type catfish. As the redtails just swallow if your in the way.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we have had many. We donated one to a guy with a 4,000 gallon aquarium. My dad helped build it. It is huge now. Like extremely huge now. But the current one we have we grew from a baby about 2 inches along. We have him in a custom built 200 gallon. Its 8ft long instead of the 7 ft. We have with a 17 inch golden dorado (the meanest, most badass fish I have ever seen) and about 20 inch pacu. Although we do have a smaller RTC in a standard 7ft 200 gallon. He is only about 10 inches though. I would have to say the tiger shovelnose cats are pretty damn cool to. Here is a pic of our old one. He died a while ago has since been fed to the school of cariba/red belly piranha.

More of a hunter type catfish. As the redtails just swallow if your in the way.
Tigers are cool too. The red tail tiger hybrids aren't as cool as either, though. IMO

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
When I worked at a LFS (donated my time as the owner was a great friend) we had a guy drop off a RTC that was easily 2', if not larger. Guess what this fish lived in? A 55g.....believe it or not. We tossed it in a 110g stock tub until a guy came, who had a VERY large tank (something like 1600g), to pick it up. Neat fish, beautiful colors. He was hand fed so it was fun to feed.

Also he brought in multiple other cats, including a RTC x TSN hybrid, which the owner kept with his other TSN hybrid.

Banjo cats are cool. I owned one for about a year until he disappeared from the tank. Never found him!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
he's probably still in there! lol.
That's what I was really hoping when we moved, but he wasn't. I sifted the sand hoping to find him (was also sorting out MTS to share with friends). No go. Talk about bummed. :icon_neut

·
Registered
322 Posts
We used to have a tigrinus cat also. It got to about oh 8 inches then started acting goofy. It was a let down really. Such a cool fish and was doing fine. Kind of expensive to just go buy a new one to/if you can find it. Couldn't really figure out what happened. Don't have any digital pics of him though. I don't think digital cameras were to common at that time lol.

google images is good though

I have to say your banjo cat pic is a very well taken picture. Debating if i should make it my background.

EDIT* my pops said it got to 14 inches. I don't remember that, but he said we had two at one time. We go through so many fish I can't remember. Get some, give some endless cycle I tell ya. That's the good thing about having a lot of big tanks....you tend to get a lot of free fish when they outgrow peoples home tanks. Oh and that redtail we gave to the guy with 4,000 gallon is about 36 inches now. We believe it to be female and apparently it beats up the bigger male redtail in the tank. I need to go see her again. It's been a few years.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We used to have a tigrinus cat also. It got to about oh 8 inches then started acting goofy. It was a let down really. Such a cool fish and was doing fine. Kind of expensive to just go buy a new one to/if you can find it. Couldn't really figure out what happened. Don't have any digital pics of him though. I don't think digital cameras were to common at that time lol.

google images is good though

I have to say your banjo cat pic is a very well taken picture. Debating if i should make it my background.
Dang! I have never heard of that kind of catfish before! It's very beautiful!
Thanks for the compliment :)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Nice shovelnoses! This one was 48" or so.

I'm glad we didn't meet the rest of this one (that's my hand in front)

I was looking through my pics for a pic of preserved Banjo cats, cuz I know we saw a few diff species, but I must not have gotten pics of those... oh well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts