The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up what was labeled simply algae eater from peace for like a buck 99. I usually do tons of research before adding a fish to my tank but am having a little problem with brown algae at the moment and figured what the hell. Can someone clarify on exactly what kind of fish this is? Thanks.
PS I know the pic isn't the greatest.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Looks like a Chinese Algae Eater to me too.

Can you take it back?

(IMO CAEs should not be sold as "algae eaters" since they won't touch algae past a certain age, can grow to become quite large fish, and become increasingly territorial and belligerent as they grow.)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I believe I can take it back. Hasn't helped with my diatom issue and that's the only reason I picked him up. Id like to pick up an Otto cat as I hear they're great for consuming algae but I can't find them anywhere

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Chinese algae eaters are known to be aggressive once they hit adulthood, which is why most people with planted tanks stay away from them and go with Siamese Algae Eaters/

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you tried otocinclus? A trio might be able to help you. Just make sure you get at least three, they like company.
I want to get some Otto cars but I already have 5 blue grams and a rainbow shark occupying the bottom of my tank and don't want to overcrowd their space. Your thoughts on that?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Otos are not bottom feeders or scavengers. They'll spend their time moving along all the surfaces in the tank (walls, plant leaves, equipment, etc) feeding on the aufwachs/biofilm (including algae).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If your Rainbow Shark is anything like mine, he should actually be pretty good at eating algae. Mine eats it off the plant leaves and the side of the tank too, and loves Diatoms ;). I do have a CAE, but it seems mine seems to be the exception of being bigger then the full grown Rainbow shark, and still eating algae.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My rainbow shark does nibble algae that grows on my manzanita wood but that's about it. I added 2 red cherry shrimp from my father's tank, who was taking down a smaller set up and working on a larger one. Hoping they'll help with the diatom. If not I'll pick up some Ottos. Thanks lauralee

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.