The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
The lower leaves melt when I grow this plant. The stem remains healthy though. My platties enjoy nibbling on the the melted leaves. It does grow very fast, and if you trim off the bottom and rebunch it, it looks very nice.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Every time I've ever grown it submerged, it started looking really funky before too long. This one is certainly happier up out of the water from what I've seen.
This plant takes FOREVER to convert from emmersed to submerged. I was given 5 emmersed stems as a gift. Only 1 survived the conversion. This was 8 months ago. I now have 7 stems of BEAUTIFUL mermaid weed. I will have to take picture this plant is STUNNING. Low nitrates makes this plant a STRIKING redish orange.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Ry, you sure you don't have Proserpinaca palustris?

That's a gorgeous plant any way you cut it, I love the sawtooth leaves. The emersed growth does kinda look like parrots feather.
you are correct. Similiar saw like structure. I have Proserpinaca palustris, and it kicks tush.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.