The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled a few of these off of the pec fins of my TX Cichlid. I just dosed two rounds of Jungle Parasite clear and they didn't even blink. So I took one of the Cichlids out and tweezered them off. Squirmy little suckers. The biggest was about .25 inches long. Anyone?

:angryfire
Thanks,
Jason

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
Looks like some type of leech. A nasty looking one.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was watching discovery channel a while ago and that thing looks like one of those leech things that drinks blood from a fish's gills. they scrape the gills until they bleed and then gorge themselves on the blood. They find the gills because of the chemicals they release. Aparently our urine relieses the same kind of chemicals as fish gills so when you are in the amazon your not supposted to pee in the water or else these things will swim up your ..... yea.. and make their home there and scrach the inside until you bleed and, you get the idea.
So, was your texas in a tank possibly where there were plants or wild caught fish from the amazon?
I dunno i could just be stupid here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything..

I was watching discovery channel a while ago and that thing looks like one of those leech things that drinks blood from a fish's gills. they scrape the gills until they bleed and then gorge themselves on the blood. They find the gills because of the chemicals they release. Aparently our urine relieses the same kind of chemicals as fish gills so when you are in the amazon your not supposted to pee in the water or else these things will swim up your ..... yea.. and make their home there and scrach the inside until you bleed and, you get the idea.
So, was your texas in a tank possibly where there were plants or wild caught fish from the amazon?
I dunno i could just be stupid here.
Everything in my tank is WC. Nothing from the amazon, just texas. This one was wild caught several months ago and I haven't added anything since. Then all of the sudden these little suckers appear. Irritating. Here's my fish btw:

Jason

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Everything in my tank is WC. Nothing from the amazon, just texas. This one was wild caught several months ago and I haven't added anything since. Then all of the sudden these little suckers appear. Irritating. Here's my fish btw:

Jason
Maybe they hitched are rid with that fish. Good luck getting rid of them.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
bump salt in your tank, and if you really want some good stuff try using copper safe. that kills pretty much anything without a backbone. or formulin if you can still find it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts