The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am not new to alagae. However this algae is new to me! I believe it’s staghorn or hair. I think what’s mainly caused it to rise is my co2.

I first tried DIY co2, that was a fail, had to take it down so I had no stable co2 for a week before I got pressurized co2. Now that is on a timer and all. But this algae has showed up. Manual removal was a joke, it’s stuck to my plants like super glue.

I am thinking about a full tank peroxide wash. I just forget dosing and if it’ll harm any plants/fish/shrimps/snails??? I have a 40 gallon but I don’t think I’ll dose for a full 40 gallon seeing all the items I have in my tank probably take it down to 20.

Any help? I know excel might help but I forget what plants are prone to dying because of it.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Definitely stag horn. I, personally, use excel as opposed to peroxide. I've heard vals and sag are sensitive to it, I don't keep either. I know there's some mosses that have issues with it but my javas haven't seemed to care. I spot treat and manually remove versus whole tank dosing. I believe the dosing for full tank on excel is 1ml per gallon in case you were wondering. I have not used peroxide so I don't have the dose or any info that. My experience in using additives alone to remove stag horn is none.

I've heard of a correlation between excessive iron and stag horn, I don't know if this is your issue but it might be a start. Good luck!!

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
I had this same algae in my freshwater guppy tank, and I just cut the leaves that had the algae on it and haven't dealt with it since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.