The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Found is cool plant at the end of November. We are having a drought and it was growing in some thick mud at the much receded edge of a dam.

It has two types of leaves, the spear like tall ones grew while only the bottoms were submerged while I cleaned it off over a few days.

Once I put it into the tank, it grew the tall spear, it grew about 3 inches a day easily, but stopped when it broke the surface.

The blade like leaves are the ones it grows while submerged. It reproduces with runners like a val.... and the immersed version actually looks a bit like a prettier vat short val when it is small.

The pics don't do it justice. I have another much smaller one growing with only its bottom in the water outside.

I suspect it could be some sagittaria?

In case you were wondering what that was on the side

Just some crappy nearly dead plants I got from the LFS, and a topping from my dirt tank, every node except the tip has a nice root, and is growing two little new plants... I put it like this to be close to the light... (2 x 16W linear tubes over a 100L tank).

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looked at the pics, I would say it is slightly larger than those. I will go take photos of the one outside little later.
My example is about 30cm tall, but those in the black mud were maybe up to 45cm, if I had to guess.
Was nice stinky black mud with lots of cow patties. I went to fish, my friend lives next to the dam, he just forgot to tell me there are carp in the dam, not bass.... needless to say I got bored and went plant hunting.

Was a nice evening though, my friends playing trance music into the fields from a PA system, and me pulling plants out of the mud in the sunset. Middle age is such an interesting time.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, it was my first guess. I see it is found locally, thanks to you.
Never seen it in trade, but it is a great aquarium plant so far. I have 3 nice plantlets just from that one plant so far.
Planning on doing the whole corner with them in my 60 gallon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts