The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this plant I need an ID on:

I also have amazon swords and that's about it. They are in my cichlid community tank with africans. They don't destroy the plants at all, which I guess I'm lucky about that. But I have heard they need good lighting. I have a 15watt bulb in my 26 gallon bowfront, but that light came with the tank so I'm guessing it is insufficient. I have heard that the amazon swords are root feeders, but I don't know what that means. Also, today I clipped some of the roots of the swords because they were starting to go under the big rocks, so I took em out clipped em, and put back in during a water change of my tank. So I need an Identification on that plant, and what root tablets are.

Thanks in advance,

Maxi

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
were they sold by petSmart?
heh.. they were sold as so but doesn't mean they're aquatic. Sorry, you got ripped off.

And rooted plant won't do so well in plain sand.. Your sword will go next. Root feeders mean they absorb nutrients through their roots. And there's no nutrients in sand.

there are some articles on this site you should read up on.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I can't help you on the plant ID but, as far as the root feeding goes...
I personally use the Seachem Flourish tabs for my swords but there are many cheaper fertilizer tablets on the market too. You just stick the tablet down into the substrate near the plant you want to add the extra nutrients for and add another every month or so. Just be sure to get it deep enough that it doesn't let all of those extra nutrients loose into your water column!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am not sure about your plant ID. Your picture is a little blurry. I think if you look through the plant data base and the plant list on apc and plantgeek you will be able to find out what you have. I would google mondo grass first jus to see some pictures to compare with what you bought. Its often sold at fish stores as an aquatic plant, you (if it is mondo grass) would by no means be the first person to fall prey to this non aquatic marsh plant.

The true question is whether its been 4 months of the plant slowly dieing or 4 months of the plant growing and thriving. Mondo grass is a marsh plant so it can survive under water for a while. I don't know if it can survive 4 months though.

I had a tank with regular playsand it grew plants fine. I didn't have too many "root feeders", but I find water column fertilizers to be enough.(IME)

Here is a picture of the tank with just play sand. Its right after a trim so all the stems in the back are low but its from a year ago so I can't find many pictures.:) I find the substrate fertilizers to be more of buffer zone for when you forget to dose or don't dose enough, useful and helpful but by no means neccessary.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6257/img7028blackandwhiteborder7dl.jpg

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
And rooted plant won't do so well in plain sand.. Your sword will go next. Root feeders mean they absorb nutrients through their roots. And there's no nutrients in sand.
Just because a substrate has no nutrients doesn't mean the plant can't get it from the water column. I've grown huge crypts in plain gravel.

Thanks everyone. But I forgot to ask you something else, do I have enough lighting?
No, not even close.

So what watt bulb should I get? Will it harm the fish, or I am being paranoid about that?
No bulb you can buy will remedy this. You need either a new fixture or a retrofit kit.

Lighting doesn't harm fish. This is a myth.

Read this guide: www.rexgrigg.com

It will answer many of your questions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry Maxi but in case you're still wondering, it's definitely Ophiopogon- Mondo Grass. It should do well outdoors for you in FL, best in part shade, in the ground, if you can get it adapted back to emerse growth. 4 months underwater might make it difficult to bring it back from the brink though :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks DM, I have my 2 tortoises in a nice corner with sand, outside, and on the sides are plants, its missing spaces, and I could surely put the plants there. The sun hits there in the morning, and a little in the afternoon, I'll see what I can do to put them there without having the dog destroying em :biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.