The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please ID them, they were labled as coloured algae shrimp.They are not amanos as I have kept many amanos and they are shaped and coloured differently.When happy they go a nice dark red.

The first pic shows 2 of the shrimp in question with a cherry shrimp on top of the algae wafer and another cherry in the top right.At the front is a shrimp im not sure of, I think its a red nose or yellow nose.

New ones and cherry

Pic of one of the new ones, this one doesnt really have a stripe down the back but has some stripes across it.

Pic of all the new ones in the bag.

Ok this one I got out of a tank that had shrimp labled as red nose/long nose shrimp.I got the last 2 but they looked different, the red nose one died as I stupidly got a plant that I never rinsed and when I got home it was dead along with my bumblebees and my cherrys and amano were on the brink of death.I did an emergancy water change and removed the plant and they recovered.Its kinda yellow and not clear like ghost shrimp(which I thought it was at first).

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The fist shrimp in question is most likely a rainbow shrimp. If it isn't one of those it might be a ninja shrimp they're known to change colors at times as well...

Shrimp two might be a type of longnose shrimp similar to the red nose one. It also could be something like a seed shrimp... I'm not too sure what that one is though. Try getting it IDed at shrimpnow.com they will probably know what it is...

Cool shrimp!

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I doubt it's a seed shrimp. Ostracods are tiny.
No I'm refering to another "seed shrimp" It looks similar to that... but I think that it's just the same family as the red nosed ones just not the type with red noses. I'm pretty sure red nosed shrimp are generally wild caught so there can be a bit of a mix here or there...

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My new bumblebees not looking too great.I think my water might be too acidic(about 6.6).My problem is that my substrate(flora base)buffers it and the co2 probably isnt helping.Can anyone:

1. Let me know what kinda ph and hardness I should be aiming to keep bumblebees,cherries,rainbows,crystal reds(and also endlers, pygmy corys,ottos and dwarf rasbora).

2.Suggest ways of me buffering my ph a bit.

Thanks, i'll post my exact readings in a bit.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Florabase is some good stuff and will really lower ph in small tanks... What if you did a WC with some harder water? 6.6 is a little bit lower than normal. or you could turn down the CO2 some?

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about putting some crushed coral in my internal filter(it has a compartment for media.

Sad news my new bumblebee carcked it :( everything else seems fine though.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
What about putting some crushed coral in my internal filter(it has a compartment for media.

Sad news my new bumblebee carcked it :( everything else seems fine though.
I've heard of people doing that, I can't say I've needed to do it though so I can't tell you my experiences!

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I done it again :( I got some more new zealand grass and gave it a good rinse under the tap then removed all the rockwool and rinsed it again.I thought about leaving it in a breeding trap in one of my other tanks but I took the chance and added it to my tank.About 10 mins later my long nose shrimp is belly up and both my cherries are havign spazms.I took them out and have them in a big bowl with water from another tnak and they seem to be recovering(now sitting on a plant moving about instead of lying on the bottom).The rainbow shrimp seem unaffected though.I did about a 50% waterchange but I dont know if I should risk putting them back in until im sure they will be ok.

:( :( :(

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both my cherry shrimp didnt make it and my red/yellow nose one is MIA although I think hes a gonner cos he was always so active and stayed out in the open.The rainbow shrimp seem completely fine though and a few have shed their skins.I'm not taking any chances with plants again.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He didnt make it, just found him(or what appears to be him)stuck to the filter intake :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts