The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone recognize this? i have an idea in mind of what it is, but if im right it means i broke some pretty big rules of the aquarium hobby...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is algae. its the specific kind of algae it resembles that has me scratching my head.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im fairly positive it is a type of chaetomorpha, but none of the freshwater chaetos that i know of look like this. it is a single stranded algae with multinucleate cells, but the strands are up to at least a mm thick. its also very brittle.

·
Registered
518 Posts
+1 on staghorn....I had similar looking stuff growing on my glosso. Everyone tried to tell me that it was plant debris...plant debris doesn't grow upwards on other plants lol. Arthropod Insect Pest Invertebrate Plant

Hand Arthropod Gesture Finger Spider

.....after I googled staghorn algae I found this picture to be the most similar
Green Leaf Natural environment Water Vegetation

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what you have looks similar.

it isnt a root.

whatever it is, im going to try and grow it out. i like finding ways to use algae. i have never heard of staghorn algae growing strands that are so thick though...

just out of curiosity, what is your water like that the algae grew in? mine is extremely hard with extremely high kh. ph, without CO2, is around 8.4.

·
Registered
518 Posts
what you have looks similar.

it isnt a root.

whatever it is, im going to try and grow it out. i like finding ways to use algae. i have never heard of staghorn algae growing strands that are so thick though...

just out of curiosity, what is your water like that the algae grew in? mine is extremely hard with extremely high kh. ph, without CO2, is around 8.4.
The tank it was in is torn down now... Ph was around 7....couldn't tell you much else... I had high light and spotty DIY co2...no fert. Just about any algae can grow in that :p

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after i grow it out some more ill see if i can get someone to ID it. i know a few professors who would be ecstatic to have it if it is indeed a Chaeto. if it turns out to be staghorn algae, which i doubt, at least ill know what it is. regardless, if it continues to grow the way it is, it will make for an interesting addition to my algae tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.