The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
That's glossostigma elatinoides or glosso. I had it before but it wasn't growing for me like that and was the biggest PITA so I had enough and got rid of it :(

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's glossostigma elatinoides or glosso. I had it before but it wasn't growing for me like that and was the biggest PITA so I had enough and got rid of it :(
+1 on Glosso

Thanks for the info guys!!
I was thinking about getting HC for my 10g tank until I saw the glosso. what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I like glosso but I just didn't have enough patience for it and planting it is a PETA. It didn't grow for me to form a carpet for some reason it was growing upwards and didn't look good at all, actually some of it did started to form a carpet but it went were I didn't want it to be and still didn't look close as the picture you posted. Maybe you will have a better luck. Didn't have an experience with HC but I do like it. Once I set up my 55g I will give another try to get glosso growing into a carpet and I want to try HC too. IMHO I probably would go with HC instead of glosso.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
glosso is easy as hell to plant, but i have no idea what to do to make it grow happy like that. I have it in three tanks(sorta), In a .3 gallon vase in a window sill, it carpets, in a 3 gallon with 15watt desk lamp, it carpets AND grows up, and in a 5.5 with a 20watt desk lamp, it just grows up.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
i know it depends on the tank's height, the plants... etc, but what is a good wpg for a general planted aquarium? And what is a good wpg for this plant, glosso?

It just seems like 8wpg is quite a lot of light.. and algae..
Depends on the size of the aquarium. The WPG guideline doesn't work for tanks smaller than 10g. I had more than 10 WPG on my 2.5g nano.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had it carpeting so much it was layering over itself and never growing up in a 10g with around 2-3 WPG. I had an issue with that tank and the glosso all died, but it is an awesome plant. People talk about WPG being the largest factor, but I think how you plant it is equally if not more important. You need to plant it deep and push it back down where it starts to come up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts