The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i recently picked up some rcs. There was a hitch hiker in the bag. I'm pretty sure with my luck this is prolly a mts. But it kinda looks like a juvenile assassin snail to. Also my cam sucks at macro pics. like terribly sucks. Sorry and i hope the pics aren't so bad that i waste ppl's time with them. But maybe some one super experienced with snails might be able to notice what they are.

they are in a qt tank right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you, every one. i know with all these id threads it must be tiring answering the same question over and over. but you guys are really helping out noobs like me. and I for one really appreciate it.

I was hoping for a assassin as i hear mts can be a real pest. I use flora-max as a substrate and not sand so they wouldn't serve any purpose in my tank i don't think. i have plenty of algae eaters in my ten gal planted tank. 2 otos, 1 zebra nerite, and now 7 rcs. i supplement with blanched zucchini.

i have a spare 5 gal that i could put the mts in. i have an adult assassin in a completely different tank that has been eating pond snails. but doesn't eat a whole lot of them. are mts asexual and do assassins like mts more than pond snails? if so it might be worth trying to raise some.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes, MTS are asexual, and unfortunately, assassins prefer meatier snails. They will go after adult MTS, but the babies aren't worth their time. I have had two assassins devastate hundreds of bladder snails in a matter of weeks, but I put them in a MTS plagued tank and they never made a dent even months later. Now the poor things are in a little cup so they don't kill my ramshorns and nerites. I feed them shrimp pellets and toss in the occasional bladder snail when I find one. The assassins are nearly indestructible, but I need to make them a larger, nicer home than what they currently have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure you know this but here it goes any way.

walmart has thous critter carrier things. they have vented lids and can be submerged in a larger tank and still have some water calculating in it and keep the assassins away from the other snails for now. and obviously they can be used out side of a larger tank to. that's actually what i'm useing in the pic up there.

best of all they are like ~ 5$

1 - 6 of 6 Posts