The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this egg inside my java. It is about an 1/8" round with a slime coating around it. This is the best pic I could take. Anyone have an idea what it is? The only thing new I put in tank is creeping Jenny, and dwarf hair grass. The hair grass was pre packaged and claimed to be snail and pest free.
My tank stock is:
3 golden wonder killifish
1 dwarf puffer
1 dragon scale betta
2 ottos
6 kuhli loaches
2 black kuhli loaches
Ghost shrimps
Mts
How can I go about trying to hatch it safely? I think if I leave it alone its toast with my set up.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It looks like a killifish egg to me. They tend to be large, and lung on plants like that. However, the one in the picture has fungus and is infertile. Look for others. Fertile ones will look clear.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like a killifish egg to me. They tend to be large, and lung on plants like that. However, the one in the picture has fungus and is infertile. Look for others. Fertile ones will look clear.
Yep your right. Saw the female laying the next egg. The males where fighting over it. Couldn't get a pic behind stump.
Very big egg and clear. If I decided to try and keep it, how would I go about it? I don't have a quarantine tank it would have to be in the same tank. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I only bread that species once or twice, and that was many years ago. As I recall, and please check this out further, they are egg hangers. This means they lay one egg at a time, on a plant, and lay only a few at a time.

I used spawning mops made out of nylon yarn, or other synthetic yarn. Everyday I'd go through the spawning mop, one strand at a time, removing each egg I found to a culture dish. I then place the culture dish in a 5 gal tank, with identical water, and Methylene blue to keep infertile eggs from growing fungus. Cloudy eggs are removed. Eggs take about 2 weeks to hatch.

Yea, typically, you would use a spawning tank, and a hatching tank. The good news is that they only need to be about 5 gal.

As you can see, it's a tremendous amount of work to breed this fish, even though they are not difficult to spawn. Now you know why many killies are expensive, and often your LFS never has any. (grin)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.