The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so unfortunately I have this one little guppy in with my CRS (there is nowhere else I could put him as he hijacked in with my original shrimp purchase at a LFS). Well they have all been getting along wonderfully and the tank has been established for some time, in fact this is the only tank of mine that has been blissfully working perfectly. But as things have been going wonderful with this tank I must admit I haven't been devoting as much time to it as I used to.

Well, tonight I spotted some white spots on the tail of the one guppy. I have 11 CRS in this 4g tank. I separated the guppy into a treatment tank (more of a jar) but what can I do with the tank with the shrimp in it? I have a berried female so I want to be very careful. I am not positive this is ick, but there haven't been any fungal issues in the tank itself that I have seen. The only difference is that the temperature has been a little hotter in the tank today and maybe yesterday since the ambient room temp has been above freezing for once. Thank you for your advice!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've used Kordon Ich Attach in my CRS/Rili/White Cloud tank after ich hitched in on some moss. The shrimp don't seem to mind at all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already separated the guppy, but I was wondering if I needed to treat the original tank, and how to do it safely with the crs. I also have a lone pygmy cory cat survivor in there but he doesn't seem to have any signs of ich - but I def. wanna play it safe.

There are plants in the tank of course, but I care more about the livestock at this point in time. I'm still unclear how this happened since shrimp have been the only new thing I have added to the tank :/

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also does the "bath" method work better with salt for treating the single guppy? I don't have a heater for the size of the container I am keeping him in at the moment so I can't use heat yet. Hoping to try to get a better set up going after I get home tonight.

The guppy just has a few white round bumps on it's hind tail only at the moment. It's been years since I have dealt with ich, but it doesn't look like anything else to me at the moment

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ich lives in the water for part of the lifecycle, so it's possible the shrimp brought it with them in their water even though it wouldn't necessarily be living on them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Has anyone used just the heat method with shrimp? Unfortunately it will be a few days before I can buy anything

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, maybe I will wait to get the Kordon stuff. I am keeping an eye on the original tank for any negative reactions but so far the inhabitants still seem happy.

After doing rate of 1 teaspoon salt per 4 liters/1 gallon of water every 12 hours for 3 treatments with the guppy, he only has one spot left on his tail. Wasn't quite the "bath" method but I wanted to try something gentler first. I think I will follow with the bath to be safe. Here is the "bath" method I found, would you recommend it for the guppy?

" A separate salt bath is very effective for individual fishes. The higher concentration of salt will destroy embedded trophozoites on the body of the fish by preventing them from maintaining fluid balance. To prepare a salt bath for small-medium size fish, dissolve 2 Tablespoons Aquarium Salt in 4L/1 Gal. of conditioned tap water that is the same temperature as the tank water. Stir well to make sure all salt is dissolved before using.

Place affected fish in a container with enough tank water to cover the fish with a little room to spare. A wider container is better than a tall, narrow one, as it allows for better oxygenation of the water, and room for the fish to move about. Add salt solution very gradually until fish just starts to show mild stress. You may not need to add all of the solution. Leave in bath for 30 minutes, carefully observing the fish’s reaction to the treatment. Return the fish to fresh water immediately if it rolls over or tries to jump out. Observe the fish carefully during the entire bath period. After the 30 minutes, dilute the salt bath in stages with tank water. Gently net out fish and return it to the main tank. "

1 - 10 of 10 Posts