The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my planted 10gal tank I got an Ich problem.
I have one male betta male and 3 octos

I have done the salt treatment and raising the temperature in my non planted tanks before and that worked.

I'm not sure how I should do this with my planted tank.

· Registered
11,717 Posts
Ich in a planted tank is a bit harder to deal with. Use a combined approach:

Raise the temperature over 85*. Many strains of Ich cannot live at this high temperature. Make sure to increase the aeration. Warmer water holds less oxygen, and the fish may have Ich in their gills, further compromising their breathing.

Frequent (daily) vacuuming. You do not have to dig into the substrate. You are trying to vacuum the fallen Ich off the floor of the tank before they can reproduce. They also land of leaves, rocks, driftwood... this sure complicates the vacuuming, but do your best.

UV sterilizer. The problem in a planted tank is the low-flow areas that will not get treated. Ich can reproduce in those pockets.

Alternate:

Move the fish (all of them) to a hospital tank for treatment, and leave the planted tank bare for at least a week (longer, really, treating the fish will take longer).
The very day you move them you have created a break in the life cycle. Take advantage of that and vacuum the floor (bare bottom tank) daily so the Ich never has a chance to re-infest the fish.
Use a UV sterilizer, too, so that any that do hatch can be killed before they find a host.

The planted tank without fish cannot have live Ich after about 48 hours, if the temperature is high. If you leave this tank in the mid 70s Ich could live for several days, but not a week.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to separate my fish into a large bucket and placed the heater in there and put mixed the right amount of salt in there.

i bought Kordon rid Ich plus, but i'm scared of killing my plants on accident. They are pretty new and getting new ones wouldn't be an option for me.

i'm on a student budget and so UV sterilizer isn't really an option for me.

I can't really raise the temperature because i bought one of those heaters where it's set at 75 degrees. I live in Florida so the cold on my tap water is pretty warm.

since i separated the fish, should i just do alot of water changes and replacing it with warmer water?

I just want to make sure that once i've treated my fish that they wont go back in water thats infected.

· Registered
703 Posts
Once you remove the fish, the only thing left in the aquarium are the non-feeding Tomont part of the life cycle , and at 75 deg they need to find a host within 3 days. The cooler the water, the longer they last without a host - without a heater in the tank you should probably give it a week to be sure. By keeping all livestock out of the tank for enough time, this part of the problem will take care of itself. water changes, of course, only helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.