The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought some fish from a fish store recently and when I got home, I noticed one fish has some cyst-looking things on its body. I didn't have time to make another trip back that day, so I kept the fish. I thought it was ich, so I turned up the heat to almost 80 degree for at least 2 weeks and saw little improvement. Since I have quick cure on hand, gave them a 3-day treatment but didn't notice much improvement, maybe little bit. I was going to give them another treatment but wanted to give them a break, so 3 days later, my fish is back to original shape. I think I should have continue the second treatment immediately. Oh well!

Right now, I gave the fish more heat at about 83 degree. I have a few questions for your experts out there, do you think the fish has ich disease? or something else? The fish is super duper sensitive and shy since day 1, they ran like crazy when I turned on the camera. Is this normal?

I'd uploaded some pictures and hopefully someone can help me identify the disease and treatment. The first 2 photos show the fish when it came home, still in the bag. The last 2 are the most recent photos.

I am almost out of quick cure, should I get more or should I try something else? What med is best for ich if it turns out to be ich? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
It is not Ich. Looks like a missing scale to me from the pictures. Is it like a cyst, bumpy? Sorry, no idea what it is. I'd rather not guess wrong.

v3

·
Registered
84 Posts
Honestly it's very hard to tell by looking at the pictures. Up close Ich looks like salt granules partially embedded in the the skin. They are smaller than salt and light in color. The tail is a pretty good spot to identify it. It is very common.

Once you begin treating it's not a good idea to stop the regiment. It is important that you follow the directions on the bottle and read the entire text. You may want to go back to the fish store and take a look at their other fish and the overall condition of their tanks. You want to see clear clean water, good water flow, scarce algae, and active healthy looking fish. Look at their neons and see if they have ich on their tails. Either way you should speak to the manager about what's going on and see what he has to say. At this point it's only going to stress the fish more if you return them. Any preexisting fish in your tank have already been exposed by now anyway.

Note: Be careful about mixing medicines in your tank. If you feel it's necessary to do a large water change then be sure to use some stress coat in the water.

Recommendation: Identify the disease and treat accordingly. Weekly partial water changes and consistent proper temperature are a must for the long term health of your fish.

Best of luck,

~Shrimp

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ditto on what OVT said. Does look like a scale is missing. For what it's worth, from the picture anyway, I don't see any ich. If they do have ich you will see them rubbing against things in a quick manner trying to scrape it off, so watch and see if they are doing that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is not Ich. Looks like a missing scale to me from the pictures. Is it like a cyst, bumpy? Sorry, no idea what it is. I'd rather not guess wrong.

v3
I highlighted the questionable dots which are more obvious in the photos. Yes, somewhat bummy. Not true white in color. I wish it were missing scales but I doubt it.

Honestly it's very hard to tell by looking at the pictures. Up close Ich looks like salt granules partially embedded in the the skin. They are smaller than salt and light in color. The tail is a pretty good spot to identify it. It is very common.

Once you begin treating it's not a good idea to stop the regiment. It is important that you follow the directions on the bottle and read the entire text. You may want to go back to the fish store and take a look at their other fish and the overall condition of their tanks. You want to see clear clean water, good water flow, scarce algae, and active healthy looking fish. Look at their neons and see if they have ich on their tails. Either way you should speak to the manager about what's going on and see what he has to say. At this point it's only going to stress the fish more if you return them. Any preexisting fish in your tank have already been exposed by now anyway.

Note: Be careful about mixing medicines in your tank. If you feel it's necessary to do a large water change then be sure to use some stress coat in the water.

Recommendation: Identify the disease and treat accordingly. Weekly partial water changes and consistent proper temperature are a must for the long term health of your fish.

Best of luck,

~Shrimp
I completed one whole treatment which lasts 3 days, 1 drop per gallon, 10 in my case, daily. If additional treatment is necessary, perform 25% water change then repeat another treatment. I stopped after 1 treatment.

I don't see any white dots in the tail or fins and that's why I start wondering what that might be.

Ditto on what OVT said. Does look like a scale is missing. For what it's worth, from the picture anyway, I don't see any ich. If they do have ich you will see them rubbing against things in a quick manner trying to scrape it off, so watch and see if they are doing that.
Hmm.. I don't see it rubbing against any objects because there is nothing in the tank for it to rub against to. If it's not ich, then what is it? pimples? :redface: I really want to make sure it's not disease before introducing them into the main tank.

I'll try tonight to see if I can get better photos during feeding time.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I don't see ich. Not sure what it is. Signs of ich are white spots similar to grains of salt, heavy breathing, clamped fins, swimming at the top of the water, and flashing. It looks like the scales are missing probably from being picked on. Its common for pet stores to house aggressive fish with docile fish.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this a better picture? There are cysts in the body but the one, there are two cysts in there actually, in the second half of the body near the anal fin looks sticking out more for you to see.

Though I haven't seen the fish with white dots rubbing against any objects, the other one has been rubbing against the bare bottom of the tank. :icon_cry:

Do you think my fish has a mild case of ich? What treatment should I give them?

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Definitely not ich, ich isn't that visible, especially in photographs. Could be tumors, or not so much a missing scale but one that is sticking out and damaged. Just quarantine them for awhile and see what happens, or return them. No need to dump in medicine, that is worse thsn waiting and watching.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, I'll accept the fact that it is not ich :hihi: The question remains, what is in the fish body? lymphocystis? tumor? curable? contagious?

I have these fish for almost a month now and it's about the time to introduce them to the main tank because the hold out tank is too small for them. I'm debating if I should keep the fish with cysts in the q tank and put the rest into the main tank or should I wait a little longer, 2 more weeks? to see if any more fish is infected? Suggestions? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts