The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My swordtail has ich. I have on hand Tetra Parasite Guard, Para Guard and Cupramine. I don't want to use the Cupramine because of the copper in it.

What is the best treatment? Salt and heat. I have mostly Tetras and an Angel. I'm not sure the best course of action because stores are closed by me.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My swordtail has ich. I have on hand Tetra Parasite Guard, Para Guard and Cupramine. I don't want to use the Cupramine because of the copper in it.

What is the best treatment? Salt and heat. I have mostly Tetras and an Angel. I'm not sure the best course of action because stores are closed by me.
In my experience heat is the best treatment. Salt is good along with the heat but it can hurt the plants.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You need to kill them in the free swimming stage, ich is light sensitive, provide lots of darkness.
Some strains of ich are heat resistant.
Depending on how healthy the fish was to start with, you should be able to fix it.
Swordtails can handle quite a bit of salt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to kill them in the free swimming stage, ich is light sensitive, provide lots of darkness.
Some strains of ich are heat resistant.
Depending on how healthy the fish was to start with, you should be able to fix it.
Swordtails can handle quite a bit of salt.
Thanks. I started the Paraguard last night and moved the infected sword to a hospital tank. I'll kill the lights.....I had no idea ich was light sensitive.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Seachem ParaGuard would have been my choice out of the meds you have on hand. IMHO Kordon Ich Attack is the best ich treatment hands down.

Make sure with whatever treatment option you go with, to treat for at least another 3-4 days (depending on temperature) after visible ich spots/cysts are gone.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Swordtails are hard water fish that can handle a lot of salt. If the medicine you are using is OK combined with salt, then I would slowly raise the level of salt to 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Do this over a few days, adding salt a little bit at a time several times per day.

Watch the main tank VERY closely. They may also have Ich. If there are no signs yet, I would add a UV sterilizer as fast as you can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.