The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 35 rummie nose and I now start to notice they have white spot, I assume it's ICH. I got a planted tank, would the ICH medicine do anything to my tank. I got way to many fish so I'd rather not try to take the fish out and house them in a quarantine tank, which I don't have either.

My Co2 injected planted tank I dose ferts too, all the main 3 and exel. Would treating them to medication effect the plants at all? I need it ASAP since they are getting worse by the day but still pretty active.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You sorta have to treat the whole tank because ich gets everywhere....
It depends what ich meds you go... I think a lot of them will harm the plants. But I think the 'copper safe' ones might be ok.

you can try a safer method until you get the meds you want. Do a 50% water change (that'll reduce the ich population in half)... and then increase the water temp to 82-86F (that'll increase the ich life cycle)... Add a tablespoon of aquarium salt for every 5-10 gallons...(that'll disrupt the life cycle)..

oh, turn off the co2..and add lots of aeration to the tank.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Just turn the heat up and if you can do a gravel clean cause that's where ich ends up.

Salt will kill plants at the amount above. Stick with high temps and water changes. Should be about a week or two before it gets better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got bad news, woke up to more than half of my rummies dead. I'm just going to treat the whole tank. I've been using salt, always have, and I thought it was helping but then just 2 days ago it seems like they all have another outbreak.

My blue rams got it too now, man if I lose all these fish that is a lot of money.:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Turn your temperature up slowly to 86 degrees. Within two days the fish should have less or no white spots left. Then leave it there for two weeks and do a good gravel vac. I wouldn't worry about the salt, especially with plants. No need to use the medicine either since the heat method works.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Turn your temperature up slowly to 86 degrees. Within two days the fish should have less or no white spots left. Then leave it there for two weeks and do a good gravel vac. I wouldn't worry about the salt, especially with plants. No need to use the medicine either since the heat method works.
heat alone won't work. Heat doesn't kill the ich, it just speed up their metabolism.. OH!.. if you have a UV sterilizer, I've heard people use that with success.

And Ich gets everywhere not just the substrate... On the plants too.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Well, you can go that course. But from what I understand, the ich that's on the fish reproduces and the cysts(baby ichs) falls off the fish and the 'white spots' heals up... And the heat just speeds up this process. Yes, the ich is gone from the fish but there are many more ich in the water and will reinfect the fish or other fish.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man I think my whole pack for 25 rummies are not going to make it. Hopefully my 5 german blue rams will, they are doing still pretty good though. I got these fish at a wholesale price so it won't hurt as much but still it's a lot of money to me. These are wild caught also and I probably had the disease right when I got them and didn't notice it. When I did I just added more salt, it seemed to work but another outbreak and this time I think it's too late.

Imagine losing 25 rummies, 35 cardinals, 5 blue rams, at retail price...:icon_surp

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't want to get off track here and just talk about my fishes. I'm torn between my fishes and my plants. My plants haven't been doing so well lately too because I believe my lighting is too much. Then I just got a whole bunch of Blyxa Japonica yesterday and I really want to use Co2 and dose all my ferts. Hopefully this copper safe medication will not harm them or any of my other plants.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Oh and another thing... I think you can take out the plants and put them somewhere else without fish... for like 3 weeks.. Ich need fish to live and if there's no fish or snails they just die. But you have to isolate the plants or tank for quite a while.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Raise the temperature about 4 degrees. Add on tbsp of salt per 5 gallons of water in your tank every other day. You will see the ich disappear. I have never had success with Quickcure or similar meds. They always killed my plants and seemed to stress the fish more.

-Ryan

·
Registered
711 Posts
my main tank just got over a case of persistent ich.

i initally tried maracide (the new formulation) for 2 treatment cycles (12 days), but it didn't help much. in fact the ick came back stronger, as one would expect, with it spreading to rams and swordtails from the cardinal tetras.

i cranked up the heat to 86, then tried quick cure. the first cycle, i used 1 drop/2 gal, what they recommend for tetras. well, it didn't do squat, so for the second cycle, i went full strength. i figured the ich would kill the fish if not stopped soon, so i took a chance. the next day, all fish were spotless, with exception of one smaller card, who had just one spot on his adipose fin. day after that, all fish no spots. it's been 5 days and no fish show ich.

other fish (include ottos, cory, and glowlight tetras) did not show any ich and were not adversely affected by the quick cure.

plants include java fern/moss, anubias, glosso, hygro, ludwigia brevipes, l. ovalis, l. inclinata, limnophila aromatica, cryptocoryne wendtii red/bronze, and c. affinis. none of these plants were affected.

with respect to inverts, snails (mts, pond, ramshorn) were not affected. i have only 1 or 2 ghost shrimp, and i have yet to seem them, so they may have succumbed.

quick cure for sure.

i am not affiliated with the company--just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dam I just bought coppersafe this morning. What is quick cure, is that the company name or just the brand name? Where did you get it, I'm going to get it ASAP. Even if it doesn't work, I'm willing to invest more money to save the last 18 cardinals and 5 blue rams.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Dam I just bought coppersafe this morning. What is quick cure, is that the company name or just the brand name? Where did you get it, I'm going to get it ASAP. Even if it doesn't work, I'm willing to invest more money to save the last 18 cardinals and 5 blue rams.
quick cure is made by aquarium products. don't use the coppersafe unless you want tank full of melted plants and rotting inverts. most lfs carry qc. it'll be worth the 3 bucks to save $50 worth of fish. a heater will help too. it WILL help. it will stain your silicone. dose after lights out.

i kept my lighting, c02, and fert schedule while treating. plants kept growing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
quick cure is made by aquarium products. don't use the coppersafe unless you want tank full of melted plants and rotting inverts. most lfs carry qc. it'll be worth the 3 bucks to save $50 worth of fish. a heater will help too. it WILL help. it will stain your silicone. dose after lights out.

i kept my lighting, c02, and fert schedule while treating. plants kept growing.
Ok going to go buy quick cure, do I need to remove the charcoal bag in my filter?

EDIT: Ok got it, looks generic haha and I think I've used these a long time ago when I was a kid. Well I took out the charcoal bag in my XP2, well see what happens. I'll update daily.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's hard to do a lot of gravel vac when you got a planted tank. Also I think for now one I want to just leave my water temp high. I know that blue rams prefer mid 80's temp but what about cardinals, rummie nose, and Ottos. Those are the only fish that I have or will stock again.

Maybe if I can just keep these guys in warm water there will be less chance of diseases then I don't have to go through this again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts