The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I messed up, got too many fish at once and didn’t quarantine them. I ordered Ich Rid from Chewy.com and hoping it gets here quick but I’m really nervous that I’ve just wiped out my tank and am honestly considering euthanizing the rummy noses that are infected (to save the kuhli loaches and other fish). I also have a couple cherry shrimp which might be sensitive to the treatment. Looking for advice about what to do while I wait for the Rid Ich Plus to arrive. I have tried to turned up the temp but my heater is maxed and it’s only 78 degrees. Will daily water changes help?

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you gravel vac while you water change that will help.
If you can’t turn the heat up to 86 degrees then don’t turn the heat up until your medicine arrives. Turning the heat to 86 can kill ich but turning the heat up and staying below 86 will speed the lifecycle up this May be a good thing if the tank is medicated. If the tank isn’t medicated this will not be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Though this likely won't help you in this particular case, feeding Metronidazole-laced food to new arrivals helps reduce the probability of an ick outbreak -- best in quarantine, of course, but not a bad option in the display. Works better if you get some on board before the outbreak starts. I use the flake from Ken's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Expensive solution but would a UV sterilizer help prevent the disease from spreading? They have the green machine in stock at petco? Although it’s rated for up to 50 gallons and my tank is 55.

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
A couple things to keep in mind:

Vacuuming your substrate with shrimp is not going to help. It's honestly never a good idea to disturb substrate in a planted tank, shrimp or not. Maybe gently siphoning debris from the surface but that's about it.

Turning your temperature above the mid-70s is also a disaster waiting to happen with shrimp.

Unfortunately, you're likely to lose them (shrimp) unless you can get them into another tank. Combo of heat and medication is trouble.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh dear, just read this after I vacuumed the substrate and made quite a mess doing so… accidentally knocked over driftwood which pulled roots of sword out and made a be dust plume… I tried to vacuumed up as best I could but definitely was not good for fish or shrimp. I’m turning temp back down but might be too late. Fish tanks are so relaxing and beautiful until they’re not 🤦‍♀️

A couple things to keep in mind:

Vacuuming your substrate with shrimp is not going to help. It's honestly never a good idea to disturb substrate in a planted tank, shrimp or not. Maybe gently siphoning debris from the surface but that's about it.

Turning your temperature above the mid-70s is also a disaster waiting to happen with shrimp.

Unfortunately, you're likely to lose them (shrimp) unless you can get them into another tank. Combo of heat and medication is trouble.

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
Fish tanks are so relaxing and beautiful until they’re not
While what you're going through is zero fun, just consider it a learning experience. Now you have first-hand experience with the importance of quarantine and having a plan in place for when things go sideways. From here on out you can always be prepared. I'd say that's a silver lining.

Keep in mind that shrimp will be fine in a bucket or other container (even without a filter) as long as they have a bunch of moss or floating plants to help use up waste. Do large water changes, monitor parameters and use Prime. Some fish will also be fine in buckets like that but they usually produce more waste and require a bit more effort.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, agreed. I used to have a 10 gallon quarantine tank but the problem was always keeping it cycled. I put things like 3 guppies in there just to keep the cycle but then I got black skirts and they started tearing up the poor fellas while they were in there which I had kind of gotten attached to (I call them my three musketeers) and I stopped using the tank as a quarantine tank. 😂

While what you're going through is zero fun, just consider it a learning experience. Now you have first-hand experience with the importance of quarantine and having a plan in place for when things go sideways. From here on out you can always be prepared. I'd say that's a silver lining.

Keep in mind that shrimp will be fine in a bucket or other container (even without a filter) as long as they have a bunch of moss or floating plants to help use up waste. Do large water changes, monitor parameters and use Prime. Some fish will also be fine in buckets like that but they usually produce more waste and require a bit more effort.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I keep a 10g QT tank set up (actually one FW and one SW), and a keep a BN pleco in there full time, and there are some plants in pots full of gravel. I like any excuse to keep another BN. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got the Rid Ich and started treatment started with half dose. Think I might do half doses in morning and evening… I read that some people say this is a little easier for sensitive fish like the loaches and ottos to tolerate . Moved shrimp over to guppy tank… hope they do ok, there’s no plants in there and it’s a cooler water tank.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Shrimp are hiding a lot but seem to be fine in 10 gallon with guppies. The treatment in the main tank (Rid Ich and daily water changes) seems to be going well but I have lost three of the new young rummy nose tetras (they are the ones that brought in the Ich) but all three were very skinny and not eating or schooling well. There’s one more that hasn’t been able to eat and I suspect he will die tonight. The other four have lost their spots and are fattening up. One however has a cloudy spot on his side which I’m hoping isn’t a secondary infection. The only fish with spots now is the 3 year old rummy nose tetra… I hope she makes it, I feel bad that I finally got her friends and they made her sick 😩
The kuhli loaches, ottos, and other tetras all seem to be handling the treatment well and show no sign of Ich.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts