The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my neon tetras appear to have ich. It seems to be a mild case so far, with only a few white dots. The water parameters are all good, I think it might be a temperature drop that caused the outbreak. I've never had to deal with ich before, and because my tank is heavily planted with several stem plants, I'm cautious about doing anything that would hurt the plants. I've cranked the heat up gradually to about 87 degrees, but haven't done anything else. I know that salt will harm the plants, but I can't seem to find a straight answer as to what medications won't kill my plants. I've heard that Maricide was good, but then heard that they changed their formula and that it now contains malachite green and will kill plants. I've heard that Quick Cure was good, but it also contains malachite green so I don't see how it wouldn't hurt plants. Rid Ich was suggested, but others say it doesn't work... does anyone have real experience with these medications and can recommend something? Should I forget meds and stick with heat? I don't want to bake the fish or the plants.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Do not use meds...your doing the right thing. Just keep it at those temps for a minimum of two weeks. This will insure you kill everything in it's life cycle.

·
Registered
888 Posts
There's no way baking is possible.:eek5: The temp minimum I see with most heaters is 32oC. Yours should be fine.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts