The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just moved 6 fish from a holding tank into my main display tank only to discovery they may have Ich.... Should I get them back out?? It's gonna be a pain in my large 75 gallon

· Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Ich is highly contagious- can even be transferred by wet clothing sleeves from one tank to another. Are you sure that the fish added have Ich? If sure, I would use a formalin-based medication. I use Paraguard, it is safe on bio-filter and also has added acriflavon that helps to keep secondary bacteria from growing in areas where the parasite burrows into the tissue of fish.

So, yes, if the fish added have Ich, you need to treat the tank they are now in.

· Registered
1,410 Posts
I wouldn't panic. I've introduced plenty of fish with ich into my community tank without it spreading. I don't have a quarantine tank at my office so new fish go right in! I would suggest starting 30% daily water changes and vacuuming the gravel well where you can. If dosing ferts, try to do water change before lights on. Ich falls off the fish and into the gravel to complete its life cycle, it then explodes back into the water column so vacuuming is very helpful. The frequent water changes help lower its load in the water column as well as keep water nice and clean which makes fish happier. Happier fish, less stress, better immune system, less likely to get ich.

Again, I've had plenty of ich pop up on newly introduced fish from my LFS and never had it spread doing my routine mentioned above. At all. Not once.

Bump: Looks like your 75g is heavily planted. If you can't vacuum the gravel because it's covered totally by plants, just comb over the top of plants with the vacuum best as you can. You'll be alright.

I wouldn't introduce medicine unless you see it spread. Especially when I add new Otos from my pet store, several will develop ich. They're stressed and will settle in, their immune system will kick in, slime coat will improve and they will frequently get fine on their own. This is my experience. Medicines(antibiotics) can decimate your biological filter though, making a questionable situation suddenly a very bad situation where your fish are now dealing with ammonia spikes.

· Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I dont have shrimp, but I have heard that many have used Paraguard safely with shrimp and have not suffered any loses.
I would recommend, since you have sensitive invertebrates, that you invest in a UV sterilizer. Having shrimp, plants, and fish makes medicating for external parasites extremely difficult when necessary, and a UV sterilizer is the safest method to do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.