The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not mine. My brother's-in-law daughter's son's (I'll let y'all figure out the relationship :icon_mrgr ,) fish. Just inexpensive little goldfish, but apparently they have ich. Has anyone ever done the heat/salt thing on goldfish? Being coldwater fish how do they react to water taken up to 86 degrees? That, with the addition of salt, is what I told her to do (Matt is actually 5 years old I believe) since it's generally believed to be the cheapest, most effective treatment, but I also cautioned her that these are coldwater fish and they probably would NOT appreciate the increase in temperature. But if she's going to lose them anyway . . .

So, has anybody done this with goldies and what was their reaction?

·
Registered
569 Posts
More times than not, ich is a secondary result of something else that is causing the fish harm. I would recommend stop feeding and doing some water changes first. Keep the changes small and frequent. Salt won't hurt the goldfish but the high temps could. One of the best treatments for ich is malachite green and formulin. Both should be available at the lfs. I believe there is a product called Quick Cure that contains these ingredients. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Told her to do some water changes. These are the first fish (or any pets for that matter) they've ever had. I really suspect the water quality is not very good. Her dad (my brother-in-law) is a longtime hobbyist, but very much "old-school" so frequent water-changes is a new concept :). I'm giving advice long-distance without actually seeing the fish in question, it may not even be ich at all, but we'll run with what we've got.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Salt to 1 Tbs per gal in three steps. First add 1 Tsp per gal then repeat each twelve hours until three Tsp per gal is reached. Increase heat to 80* give it two weeks. Replace the amount salt removed w/ each waterchange, ie. 1 Tbs salt per gal exchanged. This is the recomended procedure for curing ich on Goldfish and has worked well for us in the past.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm actually treating some goldies for ich right now, precisely as fox described. He's right--it's proven for goldfish and their expensive cousins the koi. And when you're dealing with goldfish-sized tanks, I suggest kosher salt from the grocery store and not overpriced aquarium salt.

80 degrees should be fine (many goldfish keepers heat their tanks to the mid 70s) but increase aeration. I hate to have to ask, but is the tank...filtered?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts