The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently went through a bout with ich in my 20 gallon tank. i cleaned it all out and will be resetting it up with new rocks and everything. my question is... do i need to get a new wheel for my filter setup? i didnt know if it would be affected by the ich that was in the water... anyone help me out on this one?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Did you treat the tank for ich when you had the outbreak? If you left it out to dry I wouldn't worry about it much otherwise they are cheap so replacement is an option.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didnt really treat it for ich. just cleaned it out and the fish infected all passed on. so i figured it was pretty much taken care of. it has been left out to dry. ill just be sure to cycle through the water when re-setup before adding fish.

is there any special treatment to the water to prevent ich?

·
Registered
220 Posts
is there any special treatment to the water to prevent ich?
Yeah, NO FISH. If you leave the fish out for over a month...the cycle will continue, but with no host it will die off. Also raising the temp will speed up the cycle. But the key is to not add fish, or use a hospital tank for them, and run the main tank fallow for at leat 30 days, though 45 would be better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks fellas. ill get it going in the new house when we move in the middle of march. ill have two tanks to set up once there. cause one comes with the garage :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts