The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, read the bottles of common parasite cures. They say something along the lines, "Not for use on Food fish," or "This product is intended for use with ornamental organisms and not intended for use with humans or fish for human comsumption."

Sort of scary, huh?

Kev.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Plus imagine how much medicine you would need for 250,000 6-8" fish, I bet it would cost almost as much or more than the $40,000 they lost in the die-off.

Not to mention I wonder if the hatchery just has a soil bottom, wonder what kind of environmental impact there would be dumping a hundred gallons of ich medicine into it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Couldn't they have given them a salt bath? Have a holding tank with a saline solution to put them into then into a clean holding tank? freshwater Ich doesn't like salt. I don't know how trout does with salt though (except in the pan).

Tina

·
Registered
235 Posts
"Though hatchery officials haven't changed their fish-raising regimen in a dozen years, Frew said, the disease appears to have gained a more lethal toehold in 2006 and 2007."

This kind of sums up the hatchery. With all the advances in aquaculture they haven't modified their techniques or system in 12 years.

Raceways are typically long cement or stainless (likely cement) troughs where water enters one end and exits the other. The water at the top is cleaner than the water at the bottom of the trough. With densities too high there is almost nothing you can do. A salt treatment would work but you'd have to stop the water flow, have pressurized O2 and you could still have disaster due to the fish eating up all the O2.

In our hatchery, we used to use salt as treatment often, but we had a 80% recirculation system...likely the hatchery is 100% flow through so not many options.

Kara

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.