The Planted Tank Forum banner

1741 - 1760 of 2157 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well.. still nothing...
Got something on the screen, but no touch.
Using the calibration sketch I finaly got it calibrated, using quickpaint sketch I have verified that it is properly calibrated.
The 5v LDO is replaced for a bigger one, arduino is replaced due to a short somewhere in the atmega chip itself.

Still the LDO gets warm and it's still not working.
With some help of matchless I got the buffer IC's verified so they appear to work correctly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well.. still nothing...
Using the calibration sketch I finaly got it calibrated, using quickpaint sketch I have verified that it is properly calibrated.
The 5v LDO is replaced for a bigger one, arduino is replaced due to a short somewhere in the atmega chip itself.

With some help of matchless I got the buffer IC's verified so they appear to work correctly.
Don't you need touch working to calibrate it? Does touch work with the examples but not with the controller code?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well.. still nothing...

Don't you need touch working to calibrate it? Does touch work with the examples but not with the controller code?
Correct, it works with the example codes but not with the Iaqua sketch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Awesome! Weird that caused touch to not work with iAqua software but the touch examples still worked... That's software for ya!
I knew that this could be a problem. The arduino IDE changes but the libraries stays the same.
That is asking for troubles.
Explanation is that the touch example is written in an older version and the Iaqua code in 1.6.1
The code in Iaqua uses commando's that are not recognised in the 1.0.6 library.

But good to hear that all is working now :smile2:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Got everything fitted.
Lights and relays are working (not tested on schedule) but the dosing pumps aren't working.
So I can't calibrate them and can't use them..
Also my screen flickers and randomly dims although my auto brightness is disabled.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Got everything fitted.
Lights and relays are working (not tested on schedule) but the dosing pumps aren't working.
So I can't calibrate them and can't use them..
Also my screen flickers and randomly dims although my auto brightness is disabled.
Do you have a DMM? Could check the Mega pins to make sure they are going high when you hit the 'test' button, also try wiring 12V directly to the pumps. Process of elimination to find the problem, if the pins go high and the pumps work with 12V the problem is either U12 or a connection issue.

I have the screen flickering/dimming as well, I suspect some large caps on the power pins of the screen itself would help this.

·
Registered
425 Posts
DMM?

there is something hapening, but not much.
got to the point where there is 11,5V on the + of the dosing pump as well as on the -
pushed the test button, the + stays at 11.5, the - drops to 9-10,5V
so I think the arduino is doing its work?

EDIT:
I use a 150W 12V led power supply, maybe that is the problem.
when I connect the wires to the + and - of the powerplug that is feeding the shield the pump runs but the arduino reboots, so I think the voltage just drops out and the power supply doesn't respond fast enough to the demand
also without the pump fitted, on the + and - of the pump, there is a difference of about 10V if I hit the test button
with the pump fitted there is only 1,5V difference..

·
Registered
224 Posts
DMM?

there is something hapening, but not much.
got to the point where there is 11,5V on the + of the dosing pump as well as on the -
pushed the test button, the + stays at 11.5, the - drops to 9-10,5V
so I think the arduino is doing its work?

EDIT:
I use a 150W 12V led power supply, maybe that is the problem.
when I connect the wires to the + and - of the powerplug that is feeding the shield the pump runs but the arduino reboots, so I think the voltage just drops out and the power supply doesn't respond fast enough to the demand
also without the pump fitted, on the + and - of the pump, there is a difference of about 10V if I hit the test button
with the pump fitted there is only 1,5V difference..
DMM = Digital Multi-meter (ie what you are probably using to measure voltage)

It sounds like it is working properly without the pump connected (the 10V drop). The arduino only resets if the pump is connected right?

Can you measure the current draw of the pump at 12V? They're generally 200-300mA which should be no problem for the ULN, if that is the case then maybe like you said the power supply is dropping out momentarily. I believe there is a 47uF capacitor on the 12V rail near the pumps, could try adding some extra capacitance in parallel to see if it helps.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Think I can get my hands on some caps..
I can swap the 47uF for a 110uF to see if it helps..

But to give you an idea, I just pushed the wires of the pump on the 12v connector on the shield while it was running, almost instantly the controller turns to black and reboots.
So bigger cap should work.

Would a cap on the pump itself also help?

By the way, got the screen in a fixed position and it stays the same brightness, so I think the problem is in the headers/ribbon cable

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try a different power supply.

A led power supply can have more ripple . That can give problems. Or you can measure the power with an osciloscope.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Different power supply, same problem :(

But if the capacitor is the cuase of all this, would a 12v battery in parallel to the powersupply also solve this?
Not a permanent solution, just to test this.

1741 - 1760 of 2157 Posts