The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2165 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Heh, looks nice.
Is this fully working or is it just a mock up?

I'm building a web controller but can only find a weekend here or there to work on it.
I've finally made it relatively secure from outside hackers.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is great to see. I dont know if I would ever have the expertise to pull it off but might have to try if you put up some instructions. At least keep us updated on your progress and how it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I for one would be very interested in more details. I have to say that you have done an amazing job!
Thanks! I'll start posting details early next week when I get back in town.

you SOB haha. I'm working on a raspberry pi project of similar scope. super cool project you've got going on here!
Ha! I think Pi might be better for the GUI stuff, but I haven't used one. The Arduino is great for hardware projects, and Pi is great for software ones.

Heh, looks nice.
Is this fully working or is it just a mock up?

I'm building a web controller but can only find a weekend here or there to work on it.
I've finally made it relatively secure from outside hackers.
It's fully functional and running on my desk right now. Every single feature is implemented and works, except the low temp alarm tone, which will probably take about 15 min when I get back. So short of bug testing or any other fine tuning, it's ready for assembly and then hookup.

Those pictures are mockups, because I can't take screenshots on it, but they basically look nearly identical to the screen itself (240x320). If I have time tonight before I leave, I might make a video tour of it, otherwise it'll be next week after I get home.

A web controller would be cool. For a follow up project, I was thinking of making one with pi and connecting it to the Arduino. Not sure what I'd do it remotely, but it might be fun.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Okay..
First, thank you so very much for taking your time to type this down.
Second, KUDOS. What a great DIY. I love it.

believe it or not but I have a similar thing in my mind. Of course, I have no experience in Arduino world. I wish they ran on PowerShell.
Its been 6-7 years I used C.
Anyway, to answer your question, YES! I will build this.
I have started reading about arduino and would probably have one here in about a week.
It will take me some time to get acquainted but I will DO this DIY for sure.
Believe me, this is such an awesome DIY.
Thanks once again.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is great to see. I dont know if I would ever have the expertise to pull it off but might have to try if you put up some instructions. At least keep us updated on your progress and how it works out for you.
Sometimes you just have to dive in. You might surprise yourself.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Very nice that it's fully functional. Yeah, I want it fully web enabled so I can go traveling and still keep an eye out on the tank.

I'm using the arduino mega & wifi shield. I'll distribute the code eventually. It's a whopper.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay..
First, thank you so very much for taking your time to type this down.
Second, KUDOS. What a great DIY. I love it.

believe it or not but I have a similar thing in my mind. Of course, I have no experience in Arduino world. I wish they ran on PowerShell.
Its been 6-7 years I used C.
Anyway, to answer your question, YES! I will build this.
I have started reading about arduino and would probably have one here in about a week.
It will take me some time to get acquainted but I will DO this DIY for sure.
Believe me, this is such an awesome DIY.
Thanks once again.
Thanks so much for the kind words. I've been following your tank and excellent photography for a long time.

Isn't your DIY LED 4 channels? I haven't read much into your controller or how that's set up, but you should be able to control them with PWM since I included that in the code. It'd get you the scheduling with ramping and fading. Maybe you already have that though.

Details will follow when I return from vacation.

Very nice that it's fully functional. Yeah, I want to fully web enabled so I can go traveling and still keep an eye out on the tank.

I'm using the arduino mega & wifi shield.
Sweet! I'll be hitting you up for tips when I get that far. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feel like the race is on now! I'll be working on mine more tonight
MUHAHAHAHAHA! :icon_twis

This is a fantastic project. Thanks so much for sharing! I felt like referencing this thread in the stickies post on top of this forum. So I did. :proud:
Thanks! Wow.

So I just remembered one of the big features I have yet to program. I don't think it'll be that difficult, but it's very important. Right now when it starts up, it just starts up to default power settings (all on except aux1 and aux2) and doesn't touch the lighting modes. This is not ideal if it gets the power reset at an off time. So, the next thing I need to code it to read in all of the schedule data to determine where the lights should be and which power relays should be on/off. This'll be the first thing I work on when I get home.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Nice controller, I like it. Have you considered consolidating all of the peripheral components onto a "shield" for the Mega? Plug-N-Play components rather than breadboards & wiring would make the controller much easier for the less electronically savvy to put together.

If you can provide a final draft of your wiring diagram- I'd be more than happy to design a shield for you.

Reactions: trinity ghost

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
TAKE MY MONEY lol

This is freaking awesome I wish I had something like this connected to a LAN line I could be on vacation five states away and send it a message saying feed fish. Lights on off etc. I think that should be the next technology.

1 - 20 of 2165 Posts