The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I have two tanks that I am trying and failing to grow plants in, it seems even the "beginner plants are to advanced for me.
Tank 1: 20 long
Fluval 206 filter
Eheim jagger heater
30 pounds Flourite black
5 pounds black gravel
One Beamworks Da Fspec pent with 10,000k spectrum (not sure if that matters)
Plants: Annubias nana petite( doing ok but the newest addition), java moss ( is a brownish green color but growing), dwarf sag ( been in tank for two weeks now with no new growth and is melting), Amazon sword compacta (doing ok....), Cork screw val ( growing slowly but leaves get more yellow every day)
Fish: 3 hatchet fish ( I plan on swapping these guys out for some chili rasbora), A pair of Apisto Borelli blue that just laid eggs:grin2: ( i would like to add another pair or maybe more females I read they are harem breeders.
Goal for this tank: some sort of carpeting plant, for my spider wood to be covered in healthy green java moss, and to have a lush background full of Amazon sword compacta.NO CO2!!

Tank 2: 40 breeder
Hydor 305 filter
Cobalt heater
30 pounds of Flourite black
40 pounds of eco complete planted
1 planted plus 24/7 se
1 Beamswork da fspec ( same light as 20 just longer)
Plants: about 10 corkscrew vals that I cut completely back after I got them and they are growing slowly but surely, java fern attached to a large piece of spider wood, flame moss attached to same large piece of spider wood, and until today a bunch of dwarf sag that I pulled because they had completely melted including all the roots.
Fish: 9 rasboras, and a pleco. I do plan on getting rid of all these fish and doing an electric blue ram tank with some dither fish.
Goal for this tank: some form of carpeting plant, lush corkscrew/jungle val background, something red in the mid ground, and tons of moss on my spider wood.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using one called thrive that I got off amazon about once a week. As far as my photoperiod goes I have lights on for about 10 hours a day.

Bump: I decided to just pull out all the dwarf sag in my both my tanks and replaced it with some dwarf four leaf clover, I also added 4 more compacta amazon swords to my 20 long, as well as a red dwarf water lily to my 40. In the past week, I did start to have a crazy hair algae problem in my 20 long so I thought adding more plants might help out-compete the algae. I also began dosing the 20 with excel today to hopefully help with the algae issue. All in all, I am incredibly lost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.