The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been really frustrating trying to find grading info on CRS. I've gathered pieces of info from forum posts and the various guides out there, yet with the hours of research put in, there's still much more to learn.

It's all fine and well for people to say a tiger tooth with 4 bands is such and such of a grade, but they don't consider that many people don't know what a tiger tooth is or even which bands are being referred to. It's hard to describe without a picture and even when there are pictures there is no detailed description, etc...

I want to get very in depth and do something comprehensive as I am a very detail oriented person, so if you have the time and are so inclined to help I would love to hear from you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maybe you can collaborate with mossman. From a newb perspective, I can tell ya that such a guide, with EXPLICIT descriptions and photos, would be appreciated!!! Best wishes & cannot wait to see the results!

·
Registered
123 Posts
That post is EXACTLY why aman74, or someone else, needs a better guide. Existing descriptions are taking too much for granted.

From that link, grade SS is "(No-entry, hinomaru + one line)" What is "no-entry"? What is hinomaru? What is "one line"?

Next grade SS is "(Double Circle of Sun, hinomaru)" Again, what is "double circle of sun? And hinomaru? Define it with text, show photos that are explicit to this definition. And perhaps, photos of what is NOT that particular feature. Don't just explain it in some post - explain it all in one place.

What is a "v-band"? What is a "tiger tooth"?

I am not saying people here, and elsewhere, have not attempted to explain this, but a single, comprehensive guide would be greatly appreciated to idiots like me who know nothing about this.

Again - mine is just a newb perspective. You folks doing this for ages know this stuff backwards and forwards. Just trying to help with a newbie perspective.

·
Registered
452 Posts
YES! THANK YOU! I'm new in the CRS hobby and I get very confused when people talk about hinomora (however it's spelled) or tigertooth and galore.

I've seen some brief vague articles on gradings, but some of them are in Japanese, some of them are too short, some don't have pictures, some don't have descriptions, etc.

:) Hope you come up with a great guide.

·
Registered
420 Posts
oh sorry!! hahaha I got that link from Haeun
ahahha:icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
One way to make a grading scale is to colaborate with majority or most of the CRS breeders. Every breeder will have their own opinions on the grading of shrimps, especially others. What one considers a (for example) Super SSS S1 grade of one's shrimp may just be considered as a SS to another.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That post is EXACTLY why aman74, or someone else, needs a better guide. Existing descriptions are taking too much for granted.

From that link, grade SS is "(No-entry, hinomaru + one line)" What is "no-entry"? What is hinomaru? What is "one line"?
Precisely! It's not just CRS grading guides, it's almost any info you try to get on the internet. I have alot of interests and hobbies and I encounter it everywhere. People respond to posts, but just start writing without addressing the question at hand. So much incomplete info out there. Too many people who just like to hear themselves talk. I've been involved in some CO2 threads lately and in that case it's even more frustrating not being able to get the correct info since there is safety to humans and our livestock involved, but for whatever reason, people more often than not won't address specific questions regarding the info they post.

Oh well, noone on the internet is obligated to anyone else, but if I'm going to complain about my frustrations and continue to post on forums I thought I would try and become part of the solution to making things better, even if it's just in one small area.

And Yoko, thanks for the link, you were trying to offer help, so it's appreciated, but I'd venture to say that I've seen just about every guide out there, not that there's many, but the real time was spent searching old forum posts and getting little pieces of info here and there.

Like Owen was illustrating, how do the creators of the guide and the people who offer a link to a guide about grading info expect said guides to offer anything but a vague idea of what's going on to a newbie.

If you know nothing of CRS shrimp and someone shows you a pic of a cute little white and red invert and tells you it's a "no-entry" I think that would tell you absolutely nothing.

Problem is I don't know what all of this stuff is either. So we need the more experienced people to step up and offer there insight and I will be glad to compile it. So if you can help, please PM me.

If I just start asking individual questions the list would get too long and people will tune out. Questions about one or two grading concerns barely get sufficiently answered so I'd like to avoid going that route unless I have to.

If I get enough people willing to help, then I will just throw a bunch of questions at them and then each person can respond with what they know. Alot is subjective and also varies by country, but I think we can still do some good with a guide. Pictures will be important as well so if you have some good ones that would be great. Especially illustrating specific features.

Peace,

Anthony

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One way to make a grading scale is to colaborate with majority or most of the CRS breeders. Every breeder will have their own opinions on the grading of shrimps, especially others. What one considers a (for example) Super SSS S1 grade of one's shrimp may just be considered as a SS to another.
Yes, that's what this thread is all about. Everyone is welcome to help though since alot of the breeders don't seem inclined to provide the info.

And you are right about the subjectivity of it all. I posted above a little about that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like you posted at the same time so I'm guessing you didn't see the post directly above?

But even in my first post I stated that I spent hours on this already. Don't you think I did a forum search here already?

Sorry to be bitter, but a post like that just clogs forums up. And just posting a link seems to say "here you go, it's already been done for you".

From that guide "Grade SS (White portion is large with special features like tiger tooth, V-bands)"

So what's a tiger tooth and a V-band and how does that guide help to solve those questions?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YES! THANK YOU! I'm new in the CRS hobby and I get very confused when people talk about hinomora (however it's spelled) or tigertooth and galore.

I've seen some brief vague articles on gradings, but some of them are in Japanese, some of them are too short, some don't have pictures, some don't have descriptions, etc.

:) Hope you come up with a great guide.
Thanks, I hope so too!

I just checked out your page since I'm interested in Bettas as well.

Do you have any photos of your setup? I'm always interested in peoples solutions to housing all the males. I would like to try, but it seems like an awful lot of work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.