The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble growing medium light plants at the bottom of my tank. It's a 65, and some Rotala rotundifolia is just slowly melting. I had some once healthy hygro difformis, but once cut down, they never grew again. Blyxa Japonica just slowly melted.

Floating on the top, the rotala thrived algae free. Crypts have been hit and miss. No lost plants, most of them are growing, but very slowly.

So I decided to switch up my fixture. It's got 6 T5HO, and I only used the 2 bulb portion. So I disconnected one of the bulbs from the other side so I could get 3 on instead of 4 and I plugged it in.

When I woke up this morning, I realized that I hadn't switched the plug from the regular outlet to the timed one, and I had just left the light on all night. When I saw this at 7am (after 16 hours of straight lights, 8 without CO2) I put the plug into the timer.

But did I take out the other light? No. I took out my solenoid. So then I gave the tank a wake up call with almost 6 hours of no CO2 and the newer bright lights. Luckily the other 2 lights were switched off.

I dosed excel this morning, and I'll do it again tonight, but I wonder what I'm in for. I'm a little peeved because this is an experiment to see if I can increase the growth to fight the growth of brown algae, and I've screwed it up right off the start.

Dangit, dangit, dangit. We'll see what the future holds.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I don't think one night of super lighting will turn your tank into an algae farm.

I went away for the weekend once and the lights were on for three days straight. The fish were a bit dazed, though.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I agree with LNB - Go back to the regular schedule. One day isn't going to cause a noticeable issue, maybe a bit of GSA will appear on the glass, that is usually the first algae to pop up when something goes out of whack on me. If you are really worried, turn off the co2 and lights for a day to even it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts