The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 20 Gal long (I was attracted and intrigued by the low profile) and considering I already have 4 low tech tanks, might as well set up another one.

I have no idea yet about the plants or even if I should try a paludarium style tank.
I bought two bags of this soil. Wondering if anyone has ever used something similar.

Here is how it is described:

CHARACTERISTICS
--Stimulates plant rooting at the bottom of the pond.
--Contains humus which contributes to root oxygenation
--Phosphorus-free - promotes clean water without algae

USES
--Specially created for the culture of aquatic plants and for plants growing in humid areas.

INGREDIENTS
Black earth (humus), sand, granulated clay, calcite stone.

GUARANTEED MINIMUM ANALYSIS
The analysis is achieved with final product at maximum moisture capacity
--Total Nitrogen (N) - 0,1%
--Soluble Potash (K2O) - 0,3%
--Maximum moisture - 24%
--Organic matter - 9%

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have something very similar, a product marketed for pond plants. Supposed to be lakeshore sourced. It's got a very damp pond earth smell. Vey black.

I used it for a water garden, which is doing well. Seriously considering dirting a cylinder vase, fine gravel cap then submerged planting. A la walstad style. Tossing around ideas in my head, hubby starting to go, another one??? When he saw the new empty vase.

Anyway, here's the water garden. It has selaginella in a lava rock "bowl" nestled on gravel. The pothos is in a pot, all hidden within the gravel. Both the selaginella and pothos are in the pond soil product. Snails in the water are happy, plants seem ok.
Plant Houseplant Leaf Flowerpot Terrestrial plant

The brand is "Aquascape pond plant potting media" and is "safe for pond fish, perfect for planting or repotting water lilies and marginal plants". Ten bucks for 10 pounds. "Contains soil harvested from sediment deposits found in lakes and streams"

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the plant on the left. You have 3 plants in there. Have they been in that soil for a long time?

I used that soil I showed above in my pond but in a fish tank should be interesting. I will probably test it in a 2.5 gal to see how dirty it gets.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I think 4-5 weeks. Everything is slow but I don't put anything here, just water top up and the 2 bladder snails poop, plus decaying leaves from the other tanks, maybe one or two a week, which the snails eat.

The selaginella is the one on the left. Aka club moss. It works here because it likes high humidity, otherwise it's hard to keep alive in the house unless in a terrarium. The lucky bamboo (dracaena) has only one new leaf. The pothos has two, one per tip. So, very slow growth. But no maintenance really!

The vase I have picked for this project is about two gallons. Enjoy your experiment! I don't know when I'll do mine. Hopefully within a month.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts