The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..That Neo females aren't usually going to have more that a couple broods in their short lives?

Am I mistaken? Because I have a group of Sunkist in my 10 gallon that are now on their 3rd brood. They never were really big shrimp to begin with, compared to the wild types I have in my 5 gallon Nano tank, but they're really fecund.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I don't know why, but "fecund" always makes me laugh.

And yes, females are able to have considerably more broods than just a couple in their lifetime. Sounds like it's going well! Consider selling some off if you wish to keep the colony smaller.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not having a lot of juvie survivors was an initial issue. I suspect a hastily cycled tank and some bad actors in their fellow tank inhabitants. This tank was over run with seed shrimp 3 months ago and I think they were over-competing for food. The last brood has done OK, about 30 young from 4 berried females.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Not having a lot of juvie survivors was an initial issue. I suspect a hastily cycled tank and some bad actors in their fellow tank inhabitants. This tank was over run with seed shrimp 3 months ago and I think they were over-competing for food. The last brood has done OK, about 30 young from 4 berried females.
That sounds pretty good! As competition for food goes down, and biofilm increases, you'll get more and more surviving neo's. You're definitely on a good path.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If conditions are right, I wouldn't be surprised if they could have 8-10 or so broods a year... for up to 2 years at least?

I don't have the slightest idea what the average amount of broods are per year though!
Every 6-ish weeks sounds about right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.