The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some equip. out of the tank, so I designed and built this setup. Its 99% complete, the only thing not complete is the return to the tank (I've been flushing the pipes)
Items not shown;
(2)Tom flow meters, after the ball valves. (allows control over flow thru UV)
heater, and fluval 405 will both be located in the sump.

Other than the CO2 debate with the sump, I'd like some comments and suggestions. Let me know what you guys think.

Jim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow! Nice jobb. Did you use sketch up to design it? Looks nice. What size are you planning on making the tank?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got it 99.9% running. I had a hose connected to where the spray bar would go, and I had that in the sump so I could recycle the water w/o dumping any contamated water into the fish tank. Only have one issue, I think the 1" pvc to the tank should be 1/2" insted. the pump is making alot of noise, prob due to the pressure and weight in the 1". I'm gonna replace the 1" with a 1/2" line and see if that solves the noise. Any suggestions on decreasing the back pressure on the pump?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I actually dont have check valves currently. Once I get it going I'm going to test to ensure that the sump will handle the water that will syphon from the tank. If it syphons more than the sump will handle, then I'll add the check valve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What happens if the siphon stops working? would the tank overfow? Also wouldn't the pump and siphon have to move the exact same amount of water? Or is the water level low enough that the tank could hold the volume of the "sump" (is that the right lingo) with no problems. Isn't the low water level unsightly. Sorry for the annoying questions. I find this very cool and want to understand how it works.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also wouldn't the pump and siphon have to move the exact same amount of water?
I know what your thinking...but it doesn't work that way. The pump will determine how much water is sent to the overflow, and sent down the syphon tube. I guess you can't use a tiny pump but any mormal return pump makes this a moot point. Also the best thing to do is make that overflow into a durso standpipe...that way it can't overflow it if wanted to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts