The Planted Tank Forum banner

I want WOOD!!

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  mrbelvedere 
#1 ·
Okay, I am looking for a piece of wood for my sandy bottom tank since it is starting to shape up I wanna add some wood. Problem is my LFS has crappy bog root which is ugly.

Is there a sight that sell wood and supplies a picture and measurements of each piece so you know exactly what your getting?

#7 ·
a trick with that vendor is to use his feedback list to see what other wood he sold in the past. his inventory changes such that he may not stock a certain wood now, but may in the future, and he'll let you know by email when a new shipment that may include the types of pieces you want are put up for auction. his BuyItNow prices are very reasonable, and often the bidding actually goes higher than the BuyItNow price was! keep in mind any piece that won't fit into a standard 20x10x10" box can make the shipping cost go up significantly. I have an eye on a large piece being offered now, but once the bidding gets above $40 with shipping, it's simply not worth it. I'll let you know in a few days if I get or lose it :icon_conf

keep your eyes open for a new thread I'll be starting this week about a recent Manzanita wood
purchase from a new cheap vendor I found, that nobody on this forum has written about yet.
I like to take more time and do my homework first before burdening this forum with new threads :icon_roll

#10 ·
Do you have any local clubs in your area? It may be worth it to search those out and ask if anyone collects driftwood locally.

Our club is planning a trip for driftwood collecting later this year. Some pretty nice spots around the area.

#11 ·
I asked RockArtSource on ebaY when his (sinking) Malaysian Driftwood would stop leeching tannins and here is what he wrote back;

I cannot say for sure when the tannins will stop leaching. If you boil the wood it will pull the tannins faster than placing it in room temp or cold water. The larger the piece in a smaller aquarium will show more tea coloration, the smaller the tank the less tea color. Keep in mind that this wood is VERY clean, there is no debris of wood to be floating on the surface of the water. Since it is not very bulky, I do not believe it will tint over a year.

#12 ·
I've been watching RockArtSource's auctions over the past two days and his/her prices have nearly doubled in starting price. I'm not sure if this is due to a high demand or what, but there were the same size pieces for sale yesterday at $4.99 that are now at $7.99 and higher; shipping costs have also increased magically for the same size pieces...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.