The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 20 watt bulb in my stock hood, and all of my plants are growing so slowwwww. Plus, I want to add more plants for a fuller, more densely planted tank, but after seeing the results of my current plants, I've decided to at least upgrade my lighting first. At first, I thought I could just buy a higher watted bulb, but it seems that it is more difficult than that.

What's the best and cheapest way to get more watts into my aquarium? I was looking at the 1x55 watt kit at AHS, but it seems like a lot of spending in one sitting. The sad thing is, I'll probably end up spending more doing a DIY project. It always happens to me, I always end up spending more than I expect. It's more pleasing to the eye to buy little parts that cost $7, $11, $12, and $10, then to just spend $40.

I bought my 29g from Walmart which came with my hood. Anyways, I have some pictures of my hood to show you guys what it looks like.

General Hood:

Condensation Guard

Inside Hood

^

Is it possible for me to take all of the white part of the inside of the hood out to install the components for a new lighting system? I don't want to make a new hood when I already have one.

Basically, I've narrowed down my choices to two options, compared to three. The one I already eliminated was the shoplight option.

Option A: AHS 1x55watt kit
Option B: This setup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would go with option A...you will get better coverage in the tank with option a then with 2 bulbs on each ends as in option 2. It will also be simpler to diy 1 bulb then 2 bulbs..

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The AH Supply kit will give you a LOT more light in the tank.
I agree.

Plus the AH Supply kit is made of quality products. I love my 36w kit from them. That thing has taken some abuse and still lights up like the day I bought it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the thing, I'm terrible with electronics, and I wouldn't know how to mount anything. I'm willing to try, though.

I want to buy the 1x55watt kit for my low tech 29g tank. Do I only need to purchase the kit and the 55watt bulb? Is there a cheaper place to get the bulb?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The AHS kits come with everything needed except the bulb, which is extra. An advantage in buying the bulbs from them is their iron clad guarantee policy. If the bulb fails soon, like a few months, they replace it free. It is a great company to deal with. If I were doing this I think I would look at two 36 watt lights, even though it costs a bit more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The AHS kits come with everything needed except the bulb, which is extra. An advantage in buying the bulbs from them is their iron clad guarantee policy. If the bulb fails soon, like a few months, they replace it free. It is a great company to deal with. If I were doing this I think I would look at two 36 watt lights, even though it costs a bit more.
Dang, sorry, that extra $21 is going to pay for my bulb. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

·
Registered
596 Posts
I know that the 55w kit will fit in that hood. I put it in mine and it was the exact same aquarium you have. You do have to mount the ballast externally but you should be able to do the whole thing with one screwdriver and maybe a wire cutter/stripper. I'm not so sure that the 2x36 kit would fit.

Brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that the 55w kit will fit in that hood. I put it in mine and it was the exact same aquarium you have. You do have to mount the ballast externally but you should be able to do the whole thing with one screwdriver and maybe a wire cutter/stripper. I'm not so sure that the 2x36 kit would fit.

Brian
How did you remove the current light fixture in the hood?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm considering buying the bulbs elsewhere to save some cash. If I was going to Home Depot or Lowes, what would I look for, and how much would they cost?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You would look for 55 watt PC bulbs. But I can save you time, money, gas and frustration. You won't find the bulbs you need at Home Depot or Lowes. Or any other hardware store. They have very few commercial applications so you have to go to a specialty lighting store to even stand a chance of finding them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts