The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some Harlequin(or Lambchop) Rasboras but I've always kept livebearers so I'm hoping the people here can help me out.

I have a 20 gallon long that currently has 4 Endlers and one guppy. How many rasboras would I be able to get?

Anyone who has had guppies/Endlers know that they will mate with anything so would they get along okay with rasboras?

Do they eat the same kind of foods that livebearers eat?

Will they try to eat my shrimp?

I have hard water. I've heard that they can live in hard water despite being a soft water fish but they won't reproduce. Is this true? I don't want to end up with babies so this would be a plus for me.

That's all I can think of right now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That all sounds right to me. You could have 10 easily. They'll probably eat a lot of the guppy/endler fry so should keep that population in check.
My rasboras (the purple ones, but same as harlequin essentially) lay eggs and spawn (in PH 7-7.5), but they don't survive. I did think I saw a little one swimming around once, but the rasbora ate it right in front of my eyes.

I would like to get some Harlequin(or Lambchop) Rasboras but I've always kept livebearers so I'm hoping the people here can help me out.

I have a 20 gallon long that currently has 4 Endlers and one guppy. How many rasboras would I be able to get?

Anyone who has had guppies/Endlers know that they will mate with anything so would they get along okay with rasboras?

Do they eat the same kind of foods that livebearers eat?

Will they try to eat my shrimp?

I have hard water. I've heard that they can live in hard water despite being a soft water fish but they won't reproduce. Is this true? I don't want to end up with babies so this would be a plus for me.

That's all I can think of right now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That all sounds right to me. You could have 10 easily. They'll probably eat a lot of the guppy/endler fry so should keep that population in check.
My rasboras (the purple ones, but same as harlequin essentially) lay eggs and spawn (in PH 7-7.5), but they don't survive. I did think I saw a little one swimming around once, but the rasbora ate it right in front of my eyes.
Thank you!

All the fish I have are males so there are no fry in the tank although this is good to know if I wanted to breed guppies/endlers without worrying about overpopulating the tank. My biggest concern was my water hardness. It's very hard(around 25-28dGH from the tap) so I wasn't sure if that would be too much for them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don’t think my water is quite that hard. I initially had them in around 250tds, ph of 8 and kh8 and gh12. I’ve since changed to RO water though as I can keep a better range of fish so I can’t speak for any longer term than about 6 months with them. They never seemed phased by that water which is more than I can about the Bolivian rams I keep.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thank you!

All the fish I have are males so there are no fry in the tank although this is good to know if I wanted to breed guppies/endlers without worrying about overpopulating the tank. My biggest concern was my water hardness. It's very hard(around 25-28dGH from the tap) so I wasn't sure if that would be too much for them.

The Lambchop Harlequins are from the Krabi part of Thailand and come from Karstic waters quite infused with carbonates, so theoretically should be OK with harder waters than more soft water Trigonostigma species..

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trigonostigma-espei/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.