The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want an Ant Farm! Does anybody have one and or know where I can get a big cool one! :cool:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I saw that at a store in the mall by my place. it's actually a blue LED set under the "farm". I'm looking for something like 24 inches by 12 inches give or take.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Blue LED and NASA gel? LOL, so that's how they're doing ant farms now.

I remember when I was a kid and had one of those (~20 yrs ago), we used plain old dirt and no light. It looked more natural, but I was also a masochist and once added a different type of ant from our backyard to the mix. Big surprise -- they killed the ants we bought for the ant farm.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the question I have is will the ants reproduce?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I have been doing research online about that so I am hoping I can catch a queen when ants start to swarm here in a couple of weeks.

Also I am going to just build my own ant farm like this one.

And I plan on buying the plastics here from TAP Plastics.

·
Registered
845 Posts
LOL Funny story.... when I was a kid I would get a clean mayonasie jar, place a dorito chip and sugar at the bottom and then fill it with dirt and ants I found in my yard. You would be able to see a lot of the tunnels they made towards the food. Then I got bored with them and just emptied them back out into the yard. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
LOL Funny story.... when I was a kid I would get a clean mayonasie jar, place a dorito chip and sugar at the bottom and then fill it with dirt and ants I found in my yard. You would be able to see a lot of the tunnels they made towards the food. Then I got bored with them and just emptied them back out into the yard. :)
Great story :icon_smil

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If you want to attract ants, get a ritz cracker and place it on the driveway. You will attract them like a magnet! Likewise, when applying ant poison, adding some ritz cracker crumbs you will be much more successful.

But I digress LOL

chaz

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
or bag em up and throw em at your pesky neighbors!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
This may sound wierd, but i always wanted a whole wall that was an ant farm.
I love watching them make their tunnels ^^

They sell this sort of stuff in science catelogs for kids. Once we ordered caterpillars and praying mantis eggs. I know the thing with the ant farms, they are SUPOSED to give you local species inthe mail...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do you know of a website that would have such a catalog?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.