The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still like them. Green and bushy looking. Well, they are getting over 2 inches growth in 1 week. This is when I need to draw the line somewhere. I am about to discard half of them in my tank.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I planted one in my 55, an in two weeks it went from about 10" tall, to the top of the tank and sideways over the top of the water to cover half the tank! I am low tech/low light and use T8 shoplight and no Co2...I did ask advise on trimming it and it seems it's easy enough to top it off where you want it to be.
I'm not sure if I like it or not.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I planted one in my 55, an in two weeks it went from about 10" tall, to the top of the tank and sideways over the top of the water to cover half the tank! I am low tech/low light and use T8 shoplight and no Co2...I did ask advise on trimming it and it seems it's easy enough to top it off where you want it to be.
I'm not sure if I like it or not.

If you have room, you can replant them. Unfortunately, that often creates a somewhat messy look in the tank with one plant over here and there and others there. I have a high tech and medium light tank.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm going to see if I can trim them, plant the trimings in other tanks, then keep the plants cut to a height I like. Think it'll work?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to see if I can trim them, plant the trimings in other tanks, then keep the plants cut to a height I like. Think it'll work?

One method I use is to replant the top portion and remove the older stem. If the plant has been growing in a good water condition, the trimmed part will quickly root itself into the gravel. The reason is that once you trimmed it, the old stem will develop side shoots by the last node near where you cut it. It can create a somewhat uneven appearance on the plants. You will get the heavy, bushy bottom stem with new, greenish, small growths by the top. You can cut the stem by the mid height to the height of the tank. When the new growths get taller, the tank would look fuller. Is up to you what you do with the trimming. You can put them in another tank. With Cobambas, don't be surprised the trimmed sections will also out grow your other tank.....

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Thanks for warning me about the side shoots - that would have been a startling surprise! lol
It's a mess to remove plants in a dirt tank, so I will try the mid (or lower) height trimming and see how that goes...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.