The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But, this is a sad attempt.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/1455205324.html

MINI AQUARIUM VASE WITH FISH, FROG, AND PLANTS - $28 (TUKWILA)
Date: 2009-11-07, 1:03AM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

SUPER CUTE VASE AQUARIUM FOR SALE! FISH, FROG, AND PLANT ARE ALL INCLUDED!
IT'S EASY TO TAKE CARE OF; NO WATER CHANGING NEEDED. ONLY ADD TAP WATER ONCE A WEEK!!!
NO HEATER OR AIR PUMP NEEDED, EITHER!!! AS LONG AS THE VASE STAYS IN THE ROOM TEMP, THEY'LL SURVIVE!
DIFFERENT SIZES OF VASE ARE ALSO AVAILABLE HERE.
YOU CAN BRING YOUR OWN VASE, AND WE'LL DECORATE IT FOR YOU! (FEES WILL APPLY)

JAMES & MANDY

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Not really, I've seen much more outrageous prices on cheap 10 gallon kits, or old tanks with a bunch of useless equipment. People wanting 500$+ for 55 gallon tanks with crummy stands, etc.

·
Registered
567 Posts
They used to hand out those 'betta vases' like candy on my college campus. The housing association would have a night at the beginning of the year where you could decorate your own for free, and they'd give you the supplies and the fish. So hundreds of students had a quart sized vase with a betta in it, and a lot did not even know they needed to feed the thing, much less change the water! Sadly, a lot of them also ended up being dumped in together so that drunk students could watch them fight to the death.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ariel they also sell bettas in extremely small bowls (a quart at best) at my college. The sad part is that the whole thing is a fundraiser put on by the pre-veterinary society. I doubt more than a handful last two weeks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ariel they also sell bettas in extremely small bowls (a quart at best) at my college. The sad part is that the whole thing is a fundraiser put on by the pre-veterinary society. I doubt more than a handful last two weeks.

Wow, that kind of enrages me. Shouldn't they know better? Kind of Ironic that people who are training to care for and help animals are kind of doing the opposite with that.

But then again, sadly, a lot of people have the "it's just a fish" mentality, like they might as well just be pretty rocks or something ;[ .

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
They used to hand out those 'betta vases' like candy on my college campus. The housing association would have a night at the beginning of the year where you could decorate your own for free, and they'd give you the supplies and the fish. So hundreds of students had a quart sized vase with a betta in it, and a lot did not even know they needed to feed the thing, much less change the water! Sadly, a lot of them also ended up being dumped in together so that drunk students could watch them fight to the death.

Atleast you didn't go to a school where people did goldfish/guppy shots for fun.. where you put a feeder goldfish or guppy into a shotglass and take a shot of hard liquor... swallowing the fish live.

·
Registered
703 Posts
i got a good (by good i mean a rip off)add, just added to good ole craigslist.

http://maine.craigslist.org/for/1456305079.html

20 Gallon fish tank - $600 (south berwick)
Date: 2009-11-07, 10:31PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

fish tank comes with 2 filters cleaner tube, rocks, fake plants, gravel, hood with light, black stand, and a bubble blower and 2 air pumps and 1 bubble rod
willing to trade or bo

I also have 4 fish for sale also, email if interested
pretty aggressive...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
This is why people have to make other people CARE about their pets! When I began the hobby, I had two Tetras die from ich and man did I feel bad, but apparently, these peopld don't.......Just like corporate pet stores.
My two cents,
Jake

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Everyone could email-bomb this person, and just let him know that what he is doing is despicable, and that we know who he is, and that we are going to petition simply discus (and others?) to can them as a sponsor...

You know, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nope, goldfish shots were also done at my school. I actually had some goldfish disappear out of my dorm room...I had a few feeder goldfish hanging out in a bucket in the room while we had a really cold spell, I normally kept them in my horse's water tank out at the barn (they eat mosquito eggs, helping to control west nile virus). A friend of my roommate's kept asking to buy one off of me because he wanted to eat it alive, and I wouldn't let him have any...then one day I got back from class and a few of the goldfish were gone!

As for the bettas from the pre-veterinary society...even full-fledged vets often know little about fish, and don't really treat them like they would other animals. My own vet has two tanks in the waiting room, and both are very dirty and overstocked with fish that are not compatible with each other. There's little value placed on the life of a fish, especially if they only cost a few bucks. It's the same here with goats. I raise goats, and none of the vets know how to treat them if they are sick...I have to do all my own vet work. The goats are not taken seriously, because it's easier and cheaper to just kill a sick one and go to the auction to get another for $50.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Everyone could email-bomb this person, and just let him know that what he is doing is despicable, and that we know who he is, and that we are going to petition simply discus (and others?) to can them as a sponsor...

You know, that sort of thing.
E-mailing the guy in protest is actually not a bad idea. I doubt he would be receptive to the criticism but at least I would feel better knowing it was brought to his attention.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i emailed them asking "what do the fish eat? doesent chlorine kill fish? i thought tap water had chlorine in it?" then i flaged the post.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts