The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that my Rhinogobius Zhoui were my favorite fish. I even managed to get some offspring before my female passed from old age. But all males. Anyway, I was out perusing the local hole in the wall fish stores and I found these gems. They were caught out of local streams and the store was selling them for $1.50 each. I about passed out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Those appear to be male darters, who are actually a lot like rhinogobius in care - most are riverine, subtropical/temperate fish who need live or frozen food. Breeding them is a little trickier, though...you need to simulate a winter period by reducing the photoperiod (time the lights are on) and the temperature for several months to make them think that winter has occured.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I have done a bunch of reading on them. They are very similar to my gobies in behavior, but i know their breeding is very different. I have however successfully bred both my duospilus and zhoui. I haven't decided if i am going to try to breed these or not. I have two males and two females. But i would have to get my water temp down to around 60 in the winter sometime. So that would entail another tank. And i am sure i am not alone when i say none of us wants to have another tank. Man i wish that were the truth. I think i have a problem. I look for any reason whatsoever to start another tank. I already have a 10 gallon full of young gobies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts