The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'ello all! Considering the foul economic era we are living in, I am surprised that a list of sub tropical fish does not seem to have been made on this site yet. I am here proposing that we start a list of sub-tropical fish species similar in nature to the nano fish list. All fish involved must do fine in temperatures at least as low as 18 degrees C (or 64 degrees F for people in the U.S). I'll start with some species that immediately come to mind:

- Most Paradise fish (Macropodus sp.)
- Most Badis sp.
- Most Dario sp.
- White cloud mountain minnows (Tanichtys albonubes)
- Weather loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus)
- All Parasphaerichthys sp.
- Gambusia
- Least killifish (heterandria formosa)

Feel free to add more ideas and try to get a sticky going!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
A lot of sunfish look nice, but dig nests for spawning. So they wouldn't really be the "best" choice for a planted environment.

Darters are awesome. Lots of killies. Shiners... Pretty much anything native that wouldn't need chillers in a hot summer like trout..

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just started a native planted tank, using only US Native plant and fish species. All the fish would be in this subtropical category. I've got shiners, darters, daces, minnows, etc. in this tank. I think subtropical would be a good category to add. Especially since there are so many native fish that would do well in a planted tank.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All very good suggestions! Thank you for all your input so far! I am thinking that we need more, though...

By the way, the sunfishes' digging does not seem to be nearly as detrimental as it sounds, and I've seen a number of youtube videos showing sunfish in heavily planted tanks. This is a video I just stumbled across which shows two green sunfish in a VERY heavily planted tank:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just started a native planted tank, using only US Native plant and fish species. All the fish would be in this subtropical category. I've got shiners, darters, daces, minnows, etc. in this tank. I think subtropical would be a good category to add. Especially since there are so many native fish that would do well in a planted tank.
Don't confuse subtropical and temperate - all US native species are temperate, only some are subtropical (all subtropical are however temperate)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't confuse subtropical and temperate - all US native species are temperate, only some are subtropical (all subtropical are however temperate)
I thought subtropical was an in-between category between tropical and temperate...I had understood there to be four water temperature categories: tropical, sub-tropical, temperate, and coldwater.
Still, temperate fish have a place on this list even though they are not sub-tropical per say - many temperate fish still do fine at room temperature, although you may have to get inventive to give them the cooling period many temperate species require in order to spawn.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Nice tank in the Video. Seems to be a LFS??? I have to think they just put those in because they need a tank to put them in. Eventually the digging will be an issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts