The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried almost everything, still can't really get rid of it. sorry i don't have any water params, but i have co2 running, LED light for about 8 hours a day (think i will cut that down). dose excel once a week. water change about 50% every 2 weeks. should i just remove them manually?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That is cynaobacteria(blue green algae). You can treat it by doing a blackout for a few days or take the easy way and dose Maracyn(Erythromycin).

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't doubt anyone for identification because I'm not a biologist, zoologist, or botanist but every case of cyanobacteria I have seen involves a degree of blue tenting signifiying the very bacteria that is present. Cyanobacteria contain a characteristic pigment which gives the group their blue-green coloration. Unless you have < 5000K bulbs in your aquarium which will react differently and bring out greens.

Could we get a closer picture.

Once again not doubting anyone at all. Its just odd to me to Cyano that vibrant of green.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
That looks exactly like BGA. Can you remove it easily? is it slimy? does it come back really quickly?

My vote is blackout for 3 days and increase your flow in your tank and maybe start to dose some additional nitrates.

I also know some people that have had good experience with using antibiotics to help get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
thinking about just getting Maracyn and killing it right away. but i also have 3 otos in my tank so i'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.
Otos will do absolutely nothing for the BGA and neither will any other algae eating fish. BGA is not an algae but a bacteria. The easiest way to rid this crap is by dosing Maracyn. If you don't feel comfortable dosing meds in your tank then you can do a 3 day blackout. I have dosed Maracyn before and never harmed the fish or beneficial bacteria. I have heard people say to add flow and dose more nitrates. While the additional flow can't hurt I have yet to understand if low nitrates cause this or if in fact the low nitrates are a effect of the BGA because this bacteria eats up all the nitrates in the tank and thus causing you to have low nitrate readings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright, got some maracyn, but it says its for 10 gal tank, and mine is a 17 gal, just gonna follow the instructions and hope it works. i was a bit surprised when i read what it was far (never used it before), haha i hope it works.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
alright, got some maracyn, but it says its for 10 gal tank, and mine is a 17 gal, just gonna follow the instructions and hope it works. i was a bit surprised when i read what it was far (never used it before), haha i hope it works.
The packets are supposed to be dosed at 1 packet per 10 gal. I have a 90 gal and just use 2-3 packets and it works just fine. The dosing instructions are if you are using it as a medication which it's intended for. I never dose the 1 packet per 10 gal for 5 consecutive days like it says and still have good results. Try to dose 1-2 packets and wait a day or two and I would bet it will all be gone.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have dosed half the dosage recommended on the package but, for at lease 5 days. Otherwise, if you dose a shorter period of time, you might create an erythromycin resistant bacteria. Half dosage worked very well for me to rid my tank of BGA.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Looks like Clado to me, but algae is aglae in my book. I almost always use H202 to kill 'stringy' or 'hair' type Algae. You might consider tying to spot treat is with H202or excel.

I have never tried Maracyn so let us know how it works!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Looks like Clado to me, but algae is aglae in my book. I almost always use H202 to kill 'stringy' or 'hair' type Algae. You might consider tying to spot treat is with H202or excel.

I have never tried Maracyn so let us know how it works!
That is not clado and BGA is not an algae but a bacteria so H2O2 or excel will do nothing to it. Maracyn is the easiest way to rid BGA without doing a blackout. And I have never heard of the bacteria becoming erthyromycin resistent if you don't treat for the full 5 days. The instructions on the packaging of Maracyn is meant for the treatment of bacterial infections which is why you would want to dose for 5 consecutive days just the same as you would if you were taking antibiotics for yourself. I have had BGA show up in my tank 2 times in the last 3 years and both times I put 2-3 packets of Maracyn in my 90gal. just once and the BGA dissappeared in 2 days. I just dosed my tank that had BGA on the substrate last week and 2 days later it was completely gone.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yea that's BGA - the recommended Maracyn treatment will take care of it. Good luck.

And clado looks more like straightened java moss than slime. Kinda hard to picture what led you to believe that's clado.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.