The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some german blue rams from my lfs yesterday. Im pretty sure I got 2 males and 2 females for my 90 gallon tank. I think I already have a breeding pair as one o my females has dug a pit already.

Is there any time frame when I can expect spawning? Im pretty pleased with how fast these guys colored up and settled in. Hopefully I can hook some people up in the sns!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Excellent! Nice photos....

Mine laid eggs last weekend but unfortunately ate them within a few days. Next time around I will be pulling the eggs to avoid any issues with inexperience.

When it came to mine, they didn't both clearing an area, they just found a flat rock, which was actually out in the open and laid eggs. I saw the female's ventral port sticking out more than usual and I thought something was up. Sure enough within 36hrs I had eggs.

Good luck with the eggs, hopefully yours won't eat them like mine did!

BTW my breeding pair got very aggressive towards the other female in the tank and I was worried that I might have to relocate her to another tank.

After they ate the eggs though, they're all getting along just fine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes there are some catfights going on. Im not to worried Its a 90 gallon tank with lots of plants and driftwood. The pit is right in the middle of the foreground of my tank. It couldn't be a better spot for viewing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow a second pit has sprung up! The other female ram is digging now. This is crazy. They are only like 6 inches away from each other in a dense planting. Hopefully this works out or else Ill have to move one pair to my sump. Im going to do a large waterchange tommorow to hopefully induce spawning! More pics when the lights come on tommorow!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would definitely say if they haven't breed yet, they should soon. My GBR like to breed on driftwood or a little slate rock (so you might want to think of adding that in your tank, if you don't already have it). If they haven't started to breed, you could try to feed them a little bit more too. Usually the female's belly will become a bright red and you will see a tiny tube sticking out of her underbelly when she is ready to lay the eggs. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.