The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I observed a really interesting behavior from my Scarlet Badis this morning. I keep him with about a dozen or so Cherry Red shrimp. The shrimp are kept only for enhancing his tank. He'll eat the tiniest babies if he can catch them but Mostly he ignores any too big for his mouth. Today while I was watching the tank, I saw him dart at one of the larger shrimp. It shot back and he started picking at the sediment. Then he would charge the shrimp again and again pick at what it kicked up with it's tail. It definitely seemed that he made the connection between charging the shrimp and easier food to find. I'm not too concerned about the shrimp, they are his shrimp more than mine. I just thought it was a neat behavior to watch. Has anyone else observed their fish doing things that seem to be above their cognitive level?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Clever boy!
I've seen various fish follow cories around to pick at what they stir up, though I don't think I've ever seen them intentionally use the cories as tools. Badis seem very intelligent, though- fish that move slowly and actually observe things all seem to be more on the intelligent side.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I hope the badis is not harvesting eggs from his personal poultry farm sorry shrimp farm. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts