The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, definitely one of these doesn't look like the others, and pretty sure card is preggo.
Is it common for them to breed in captivity?
Can I do anything to help this along, or should I just consider this to be free fish food?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
That's not a gravid fish.

I suspect it's either a digestive blockage, or a tumor, or an internal infection/parasite... something isn't right.

If there is still a bulge tomorrow (give it time to pass if it's just a block of food), I'd QT the fish and treat with Pimafix and Melafix, personally.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cardianl tetras aren't live bearers meaning that they don't get pregnant . As stated by lauraleelbp it's probally a blockage in it's digestive track . Try to feed it a diet with more fibers .

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, poor creature is out of it's misery I guess, didn't make it.
I guess it was some kind of blockage or something.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm trying to learn all I can here, and reading up on diet/different foods to maintain health.
It's funny, from a reef keepers point of view we usually assume all FW stuff is easy, but this planted tank is more challenging than expected.
But I'm really enjoying this, and this makes a much better bedroom tank than my reefs w/ all the loud filtration required.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
They aren't so delicate if you get good stock and keep them well.
The problem is most that are for sale, and all the inexpensive ones, are wild caught with all the shipping that entails.
Tank raised or those that survive for a couple of months can live for a few years. Neons are the hardiest fish in my 75 gallon community tank.

One of the university's in Florida had (I don't have time to look for it at present) an article on the optimal tank conditions for spawning Neons. Cardinals are a bit different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts